Metal tape in cassette multitracks

overseas

Hello from South Korea! This is my first post on this whole home recording forum thing. I'll cut to the chase - hope this doesn't sound too dumb, but here goes:

As most of you know, 15 or so years ago, cassette tape manufacturers came out with the metal tape formulation. This has often been touted as the pinnacle of fidelity for the cassette medium. As the former and current owner of many a cassette multitrack (Fostex X-15, XR-5, Yamaha MT8X, and now a Tascam 488 mkII), I've often wondered about the compatibility of metal tape with these units. I've always been told NOT to use metal tape but to go with Maxell UDXL or TDK Type II (high-bias) tapes. In fact, I don't really understand the reasoning for NOT making multitracks metal-tape compatible. Could someone enlighten me?
Thanks in advance!

Bruce Ray

I think it has to do with the metal tapes being very harsh on the heads of your player or recorder. Just a guess.

That's it... should've read the recording FAQ first!

Now that I've read the recording FAQ, I see that that is precisely the reason. Thanks! I'll do my research BEFORE I post next time!

Bruce Ray

Back