mechanical alignment question

FALKEN

do you think it is possible that brakes can go too tight over time? I measured mine and the measurement is high for brake torque...I just wanted to be sure i'm not crazy because the measurement is hardly reliable. you have to tie a string around the reel and pull it with a spring scale.

Are you asking because you are wondering if it worth messing with, or because you are working on it and questioning high readings you are getting?

If it is the former I think it is important to do, but consider the source...I also thinks its important to get dirt out of the little grooves in the knobs...

If it is the latter, I don't think brake adjustments drift that much once set if the machine is in a stable environment, but make sure its the right scale and make sure you are making right calculations depending on where you are hooking the spring scale. Obviously torque variesdepending on the length of the 'arm'. You could see a pretty noticeable increase in brake torque if a solenoid cushion has gone bad...

I am doing my first mechanical alignment so im not sure what to expect. The reason I am doing it is because the tape moves Very slow when starting to FF or RW and also at return to zero it stalls to a crawl around :03.

I also measured the pinch roller tension to be low, and I'm not sure if I should increase it...I mean the tape runs but its not at 'spec'....

Is this the first time you've measured the brakes? That is, did you have a baseline before or are you assuming it was right to begin with?

Yes, this is the first time I have measured them. But the manual gives a cone of uncertainty that is lower than what I am measuring. I finally received my tentelometer and I adjusted the tape tension...it appears to have been an instant improvement. The tension had been low compared to the manuals expectations. So I think I will increase the pinch roller pressure, and I'm still not sure about messing with the brakes. Everything else went loose, but those appear tight.

Don't second-guess what the brakes should have or should not have done based on the other systems. Take that spring guage, open that manual, and get 'em into spec. ;)

It is ALWAYS possible that a prior owner adjusted them and did it wrong. Regardless, you have the tools and talent to get them right.

I finally received my tentelometer and I adjusted the tape tension...it appears to have been an instant improvement.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean that there was an improvement? How do you know, and what effect does it have? I'm curious because I'm contemplating branching out into more in-depth maintenance of my tape machines.

Don't second-guess what the brakes should have or should not have done based on the other systems. Take that spring guage, open that manual, and get 'em into spec. ;)

It is ALWAYS possible that a prior owner adjusted them and did it wrong. Regardless, you have the tools and talent to get them right.

Yes... my thoughts exactly. :)

OK thanks for reinforcing that.

by improvement I mean when I hit FF, RW, or Play, it does what its supposed to. (as opposed to only half-doing it)

Back