Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Maxell UD35 Auction worth a look

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    344
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    10763

    Maxell UD35 Auction worth a look

    Sign in to disable this ad
    This might be a great deal for someone - I simply don't need this much tape at the moment, but the UD35 is great tape, even old.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-10-Maxell...QQcmdZViewItem

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,308
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    723251
    Care to place bets that this goes for over $1000 when the dust clears??
    The interface said to use "Windows XP or higher"...

    ... I used tape...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    why spend so much on second hand tapes if you can get them new

    Bought some of the ATR tapes and they are really good. The european RMGI tapes are also ok.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    344
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    10763
    Good to hear that the ATR tape works well - I hadn't had a chance to use any yet. Nothing wrong with RGMI either, but the Maxell absolutely doesn't do the sticky shed, even on 35 year old tape, and some people just love the stuff.


    AK

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    maxell tape is ok but i prefer the new ones of atr or rmgi.

    but spending so much money on second hand tapes is bit weird
    so i prefer to order brand new ones

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    110
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    1190
    Buying second hand tapes is ok if you can see or know how much they were played. Sometimes they show little use and can be considered virtually new when properly degaussed. However, getting them and discovering splices, silent sections (tape without oxyde) or even wear from numerous plays can be very disappointing.

    Two years ago I got over 250 7" reels. About 60% of them were Ampex 456. Several started to drop out, some others produced hisses on my Nagra tension rollers so I just trashed all of them. All the rest (40%) are Maxell XL-35. I couldn't look into the boxes so I took the lot as is for quite cheap ($1.50 a tape). Later I discovered that both brands have partially empty reels, some with silent tape. Fortunately they are not many and in any case, those tapes were used for mastering, and had almost no passes, or VERY few.

    Another thing I want to tell you: here in France, radios used PER-528 tape a lot. This tape works great and is still made by RMGI. It's not very expensive and you would probably like it a lot. I can't remember the correct reference but I think it's still PER-528. Check RMGI's site for more infos.

    Personally I have two RMGI LPR-35 reels. Man, they really sound nice. I was told that SM-900 are even better. At least, LPR35 gives you 90 minutes at 7.5ips on a 10.5" reel, as opposed to the 60 minutes of the PER-528.


    David.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Maxell vs. everyone else..........
    By jjones1700 in forum Analog Recording & Mixing - Tape & Gear
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2008, 19:05
  2. TDK or Maxell or Sony?
    By Tucci in forum TASCAM User Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-31-2007, 01:23
  3. Maxell Tape
    By Rodrev in forum Analog Recording & Mixing - Tape & Gear
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-28-2007, 16:51
  4. Maxell UD 35-90
    By cjacek in forum Analog Recording & Mixing - Tape & Gear
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-24-2004, 03:08
  5. TDK vs Maxell
    By Keith H in forum Analog Recording & Mixing - Tape & Gear
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-27-2002, 12:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •