looking for a technique

FALKEN

so I recorded some songs "live" with my band and I am attempting to replace the guitar intro on a few songs. the problem is that if I attempt this, the chances of it lining up with when the band comes in are very slim.

On a spare track I attempted to create a "hand-clap" type of "click" which goes with the music, and then flip the tape over and record it backwards in order to stretch it out to before where the intro begins. I think my timing was off because although it matches up with when the band drops in, the tempo is not the same.

I am going to try to record the hand claps again but I was wondering if there might be another technique I overlooked?

I don't think you're missing any technique. I think it's any how you can figure it out. I usually just start a click or count a few seconds before the beginning and keep redoing it til I get something that'll work. Maybe try getting a near in time click on a drum machine and rerecord it til you hit the right spot?

I actually had to do this a lot for a song I recorded with simultaneous backwards and forewards pianos playing the same part. Don't use handclaps- the reverb makes it really, really confusing to your ears, even if you do it right. I would reccomend using a metronome, or, if you can't get that to line up in time, clicking your sticks in a dead room. Anything that won't reverberate. A metronome is good becuase when recorded direct in it sounds almost exactly the same backwards.

Yep, it has to be dry like a metronome recorded direct. A dry rim shot from a drum machine will work well.

:)

FALKEN said:
so I recorded some songs "live" with my band and I am attempting to replace the guitar intro on a few songs. the problem is that if I attempt this, the chances of it lining up with when the band comes in are very slim.

On a spare track I attempted to create a "hand-clap" type of "click" which goes with the music, and then flip the tape over and record it backwards in order to stretch it out to before where the intro begins. I think my timing was off because although it matches up with when the band drops in, the tempo is not the same.

I am going to try to record the hand claps again but I was wondering if there might be another technique I overlooked?

I hate when I forget to put a lead in count. The way I do it is to watch the counter and try it a few times. I always nail it within a few takes.

Back