Looking for RtR repair in Ohio...? TASCAM 52

guido #2

Hey!
Just wondering if any of you guys know of a good place to take my TASCAM Model 52 RtR for repair near Cleveland Ohio? I would like to avoid risking shipping- I'd rather drive a few miles to insure the unit's well being.
BtW- the take up reel won't spin in Play or Record, but works in FF.:confused:
Everything else seems OK. (I took a chance and bought it off Ebay for $50. What the heck, right?)
Thanks

Sweet! Thanks!
Who is it?

Edit: Oh- Pro Tech. Duh! Thanks. I didn't see that at first :P

Last edited:
Your deck may have other issues as well, but it could be a broken capstan belt. If you call Tascam parts you may be able to order a replacement.

Make sure...

Make sure the deck is not set in "EDIT" mode, which would disable the right reel during play, i.e., "dump-edit", which "dumps" tape off the (left) reel (thru the tape path) & into the trash can or other receptacle (instead taking-up on the right reel).

If there's an "Edit" button, make sure it's not depressed.:eek:;)

Last edited:
Duh! Yeah - thanks- I'll check that!!
It's been so long since it was first checked out, I can't remember if that was indeed done (I had some of my students check it out for me, so I' will indeed double check! THanks!)

BTW, I believe the 52 is a direct-drive capstan...It was mentioned above to check the capstan belt as a possible cause but I don't think you have one...

Correct about the capstan. And it does work. The machine will play and record and FF et al. Just won't take-up in play :-(
Still have to double check the edit mode though. Hopefully I can get to that today.....

Back