Looking for best option to convert old tape recordings to CD

JHudson

I am looking into the best option to convert some tapes to CD - I have, in the past, been using an older Sony Cassette player for home going into my interface, then to my DAW. This has seemed to do well, but recently my Sony unit decided to suddenly pass away... that being said, am I better off just buying a new standalone unit, or going the route of one of the USB cassette players such as ION or something? Open for ideas. Thanks

If you have the A/D and DAW recorder all ready, I'd think the best in sound quality deck you can swing would be the main consideration.

Agree with the others. If you have an interface and a DAW, look around fleabay etc. for a decent quality deck and go with the way you've been working. A bit of DAW processing can work wonders (noise reduction if necessary, normalise, that sort of thing).

The other thing to watch for is that a lot of the USB output decks don't offer wave as an option and force you straight to MP3 rather than something you can use on a proper CD. AFAIK, the ION is one of the culprits on this.

Thanks for the replies. I noticed that about almost all of the USB units (WAV not even being an option...) - any thoughts on a decent brand of deck? I have been out of the loop on these for awhile. I have seen that Teac has several different ones, and Denon always seemed to be some of the better units as well. Thanks again!

Well, Nakamichi...

But really, I'd think your best bet would be to check your local thrift stores. You can usually get a decent deck for 5-10.00, and you have the advantage of testing it out in person before you buy. Win-win.

I always favored Technics cassette decks, but as with other manufacturers there are many different models in the brand line with some models being better than others. The higher end or midrange units are quite good. They can be found in abundace on eBay and sometimes at thrift stores. I have several, myself.
:spank::eek:;)

Attachments

• Technics RS-BR465.jpg
    Technics RS-BR465.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Technics%20RS-955a.jpg
    Technics%20RS-955a.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 39
Teac...

TEAC is usually a good choice, too. There are many, many models that would be more than satisfactory.
:spank::eek:;)

Attachments

• teaca106frontbn6.jpg
    teaca106frontbn6.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 37
And, as you've already mentioned it, add Denon to the list. Excellent gear at the junction between the domestic and professional end of the market.

Thanks again for the information. I am now off to do some looking around...(well, on the web for now at least)

denon rulessss..... at least, for the money (my dn x-1600 dj mixer has nice components for the money)... Way of high end....... But 10000euro for a high end recordplayer is little too much. And the technics on the picture was just a standard model 20 years ago. And then you also need a not very cheap burner...... People intend to forget that. Just like they never watch the components on a motherboard of a computer. Very strange.... And the use of cheap kabels inside the pc....as if everything everything inside a computer is noisefree.... Strange....

Check out the double JVC decks with speed control. (JVC-TD-W354) comes to mind.

I've noticed over the years, some of my old recordings were made with a stretched/slipping belt.

The speed control will make up for that loss.

One old tape was an album we made in the 60s, over time it played back too slow.

Even a half step, or less; makes one hell of a difference.

Back