Look what my wife got me today :) Hee-hee...

$450:

I've been wanting one of these for a long time, but could never find one cheap enough and in good condition. I found this at a local record store that sells used and refurbished stereo equipment a while back but couldn't afford it. I guess he still had it hanging around, and yesterday my wife asked me what 'mixer-thing that was at the music store' that I liked. We went and picked it up today :)

I still need to go through it fully, but from what I can tell it's working like it should. I have to admit to futzing with it for an hour, claiming that it wouldn't record. I finally pulled out the iPhone and did a search for "388 not recording" and found that I never had the inputs switched to RMX after recording a signal :rolleyes: So, everything was cool after that. He was going to throw in a ProCo DI box with it "to boost my signal" but moron me saw this little Realistic mixer that I've been hunting down for a while for a specific purpose:

So I said "can you throw this in with the deal?" And he was like, "Instead of the DI box? Yeah sure no problem". :wtf: Crap. Ok, well not a big deal. I needed the little line mixer more than the DI box at the moment, but still.

I'm going to go hunt down the manual for the 388. If anyone has any tips or tricks I should know about, please send them my way. I come from the Tascam 38 and have an M-308 mixer also, so I'm familiar with the setup, but the 38 has way too many issues at the moment.

Oh yeah, and my wife is cool. :)

Great score!!!!
Now make sure you pour your wife a glass of wine and give her a nice long foot rub.

And hopefully not coming across as a shameless self plug.....to get you in the 388 mood,here is a sappy ballad I wrote and recorded by
myself on my 388.These 388's sound pretty damn nice.The sound could be better than what I have done here,and someone who actually knows what they're doing:) , can make some pretty decent records on this thing.

No, it sounds cool! I just love the idea of getting away from the computer. I like hands-on when it comes to recording and playing. I work on the computer all day long as do many people, so you know how refreshing it can be to not have to stare at a screen again to track your stuff.

I'm naturally going to have to pull it apart and check the belt, clean the heads, etc. All the basic stuff. The owner of the store I bought it from admitted to not knowing much abut these things, but that his tech went through it all... I dont really believe that he fully went through it but the price was right and it's doing what it should. I'll be posting gut shots soon.

Wow!!!

Question: Does your wife have a sister (that's single) and is she as kind? :D

If you want to touch up any scratches in the paint,just take your card bay cover to Home depot and have them scan it.
I got almost an exact colour match.It looks really nice when touched up.

Can I ask a dumb question?
If I wanted to bounce my mixes from the 388 down to a 2-track recorder, what's a decent deck to use for the bounce? I know that is a vague question, but I know Tascam obviously recommends their own units like the 22-2 or 32, but I wonder how lousy of a bounce I would get going to a Sony TC-252 tapecorder? If that's a complete laugh, is the 22-2 any better? I see them go so cheap on daBay so that tells me either they are used for a specific purpose or they're just lousy...

Nice score! And Jason I like the sound you got reminds me of phyc rock from the 60,s .

You are blessed to have a great wife to do that, I want a 388! It reminded me when my wife brought home Gibson LP Custom for me. I am gonna have to scout around for one of these, as I am having the itch to buy one. Congratulations.

If I wanted to bounce my mixes from the 388 down to a 2-track recorder, what's a decent deck to use for the bounce? I know that is a vague question, but I know Tascam obviously recommends their own units like the 22-2 or 32, but I wonder how lousy of a bounce I would get going to a Sony TC-252 tapecorder? If that's a complete laugh, is the 22-2 any better? I see them go so cheap on daBay so that tells me either they are used for a specific purpose or they're just lousy...

Or there is just a lot of them on sale, hence the cheaper price.

But really, I won't comment on the suitability of using the Sony recorder as I have no direct experience with one but I can vouch for the 22-2 and 32 as great sounding and reliable 2 track decks with lots of spare parts still available.

I have a 22-4. Supposedly they are "cheaper" Tascam's and adapted from a "consumer" machine. However, it is pretty stout, a lot stouter than e.g. my Fostex 8 tracks. 7" reels only, but that isn't necessarily a limitation, just a factor. If I didn't already have a two track deck, I'd be considering a 22-2.

Also, recommended for 1mil tape only, which is also hotly debated here pro/con of 1 vs 1.5 mil tapes on the 22 series.

Back