Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A little test

Thanks

A little test

Sign in to disable this ad
    Ok guys I know this is not the right place to do this but would rather you guys listen instead of some computer boys.

I have a couple of mics to use on drum over head and would like some opinions on the two mics. The sound file is split with about 10 seconds in the middle for the two mics. First one then the other.

The signal chain is 22-4 recorder with a m-30 mixer. and then transfered to my 22-2 and then to the computer.
    I will tell what the mics are later.
    The reason I ask this is my hearing is very bad and cant hear well enough to make a good judgement of the two.
    Thanks
    And hear is the link
    http://mysite.verizon.net/resugtpa/s...rfiles/too.mp3

I guess I should mention there is only a overhead and a kick mic in this mp3

Thanks
    Herm,

I vote for mic #1...mic #1 has more air and ambiance to it. Sounds really nice. Can you tell mroe about the positioning of the mics (including kick mic, and what kind of kick mic it is)? Mic #2 kinda sounds like there is a towel over it compared to #1. The floor tom is more prominent than the rest of the kit with both #1 and #2. Positioning?

Thanks
    Thanks for the Reply Sweets. The Mic is center over the drum kit maybe a little closer to the floor tom come to think of it. The mic is about 3 sticks above the kit.
    The kick mic is a Audio technica atm25 inside the kick about half way pointing at the head at a angle

Thanks
    Kick mic points to center of head or somewhere in between center end edge? What are you using to dampen the kick?

Thanks
    Yeah, I too vote for #1.

Thanks
    Thanks guys for the help here. The kick mic is aimed more at the center between the beater and edge. There is a real thin kinda blanket in the bottom of the kick.
    I am not real crazy about the sound of the kick And am going to work on that next.

Thanks
    Actually I think the kick sounds pretty good! MMMV!

22" kick?

Thanks
    Man your quick on the mouse there. Yea it a 1965 ludwig 22. both heads are the eq kind I think thats what they call them. They both have that muffling ring built in. They came with the kit and I just have never got around to changing them. Have been spending my money on other things.

Thanks
    Oh and I have had this 22-2 for over 4 years and this is the first time I have ever put anything on it. It seems to do a pretty good job.
    The only reason I used the 22-2 was cause my recording computer shot craps so yesterday I installed my m audio delta 44 card in my office computer on second floor and it was the easiest way to get a mix upstairs from the basement.

Thanks
    Well I think it sounds great...The older USA made kick drums are great because the bearing edges really stink...lookit any 60's vintage Ludwig kit or especially Slingerland...Older Slingerland shelles were 3-ply maple-poplar-maple...really thick middle ply of poplar which is soft, means lots of air-space, but also means it flattens somewhat over the years from the pressure of the head, but that also means that the head is going to be controlled somewhat (i.e. mid and upper tones dampened leaving the lower tones). I used to reshape bearing edges when I was building drums and those kinds of drums were a bear of a job because the customer wanted the contemporary back-beveled 45-degree edge which I think sound terrible...my favorit edge now, if I'm shaping a 100% maple shell is a round-over bit cut on the inside and the outer counter-cut...just makes a semi-circle profile and I think that mimics some of the controlled meaty sound of a vintage kit but still with the power and cut of a contemporary profile. Haven't found the right combination of heads yet for toms, but I'm really happy with the kick and snare sounds I get. Again, I think your kick is sounding great.

Thread Information