Line Matching Transformers - Shure or Hosa?

Goldenvoice388

Well, for getting things like my Reslo into the 388, I have great luck with the ole' RadioShlock 274-017C... 1/4" Female in - XLR Male out... till tonight - she bit it.

So, nowadays, the dreaded HOSA makes one MIT129 for $16.

Shure still makes one for double that.

Is there any REAL difference in these? Sound wise? Durability?

What y'all think?

Goldenvoice :confused:

My question is why are you converting? If the reslo is high then why dont you just use the 1/4 inch input on the 388 and save the conversion and quality loss.
And if you instist on using a transformer and going to your xlr ins you should think about making one that will attach at the mic and not at the end of your cable at the mixer.

And did your knob get there?

Last edited:
My question is why are you converting? If the reslo is high then why dont you just use the 1/4 inch input on the 388 and save the conversion and quality loss.

The 1/4" in is line level. XLR is the only way into the pres. (to my knowledge)

And if you instist on using a transformer and going to your xlr ins you should think about making one that will attach at the mic and not at the end of your cable at the mixer.

This is a really good idea - had the same thought last night, although either way, I'm recording within 10'-15' of the 388. I do need to get the strain off the XLRs on the 388 though.

And, yes, the knob looks and works GREAT! Thank you, thank you, thank you. You are a gentleman and a scholar!
(I think I sent you a PM)...

G

Goldenvoice,
Do you know what the output impedance of the Reslo is? Some models had it written on a little red label, like "30 ohms".

Tim

Tim, Reslo black tag reads 30/50 ohms and High-Z. I have 2 Reslo cables - one wired to and XLR, and one High-Z.

The High Z into a 1/4" input of a pa, or through the RS transformer into the XLR 388 pre sound much better then the cord wired low-Z. Of course, there are custom type impedance matching transformers available from an outfit in the UK (I believe) specifically for matching the impedance of the old reslos to modern equipment. ?

sounds much better in what sense? Louder? The 30-50 ohm output will be low in output level but should sound clean into an XLR input. For XLR it really needs to be stepped up to 150 to 200 ohm via a transformer designed for that purpose. 30-50 ohms was an old low Z standard. You might struggle to find such a transformer unless custom wound. In the old days that 30-50 ohm was stepped up to hi Z (nominally 50k ohms) for tube inputs.

Failing that might be better staying with the arrangement with the RS transformer although you could easily get a better quality one I would think. The ones I tried had poor hum shielding. Also as already said, dont use long cables at hi Z.

Sounds like an old "Beatles" type Reslo ribbon. I guess you know they're collectable. Be careful with it. They have a very delicate ribbon element that hates wind or close breath on them. A quality foam windsock is good insurance.

Tim

Thanks for the input, Tim. I'm aware they are fragile, and treat mine with care. I scored 2 at an estate sale last year for $5. (old 2-way radio buff, he was). One works, the other does not. I did enjoy an evening at a local dinner-house gig using the reslo on vocals - Doing some Jim Reeves style stuff, but after reading about breath moisture, I'm reserving it for micing the Pro Reverb, as it does so much nicer than my 4047.

One of these days I may have some extra funds to see about getting the other reslo re-ribboned. They are the "shaver" body "Beatles" mic.

Somewhere last year I did run across a UK outfit which makes transformers specifically for these. In time. My latest purchases have been the Event ASP8s, which I LOVE, and a Sony DSP-V55 - also a huge improvement in reverb over the yamaha I use for live production. I'll have to let funds build before I go splurging. Forces me to do some actual recording, instead of always working on the studio! :p

Goldenvoice

Back