This Was Kinda Fun Quantegy 499 - What a steal!

B

Beck

I saw it right after it was listed. I almost hit Buy-it-Now just so I could resell it for a profit, but decided to let someone else have the thrill. I don't use 499 myself. My Machines aren't set up for it, but this was sure a great deal for someone who does. Two NOS Ampex 1/2" X 2500 ' on metal reels, Ampex branded, but made by Quantegy in 1997 for only $24.00 a piece and free shipping. Who says there's no Santy Claus? :)

It's a feel good story. Just wanted to pass it along.

Ampex 499 Gold • Studio Mastering Audio Tape • 1 2" x 2500' • Two SEALED Reels | eBay

I saw that too before it sold but decided to pass, though it was a good deal.
I had no need for it, and I prefer my EMTEC 911 and 468 on my 1/2" G16 deck...and I have tons of it, plus I don't really use the G16 anymore since I got the 2" Otari.

I use 499 on the 2" though.

Yep, I'm using 456 and bias compatible like BASF/EMTEC 911 and a few 468. I've got so much NOS 456 and 911 I won't live long enough to use it all. Still I was tempted to snatch up the 499. Well, you know how it is... takes some self control when you see a price like that. I could use 499 without rebiasing. It just sounds a little brighter. But the reality of it is with all the tape I've got I would never use the 499; I would just posses it... have the satisfaction of knowing I had it for such a good price. I resisted. I'm proud of myself! Hi, my name is Beck and I'm an, an, umm... tapoholic. :D

There was another good deal on a 1/2" 499 NOS reel last night....not sure if anyone grabbed it yet.

Back