JVC TD-W805 Cassette deck

CharlieM

I picked this up several days ago. In the beginning it played perfectly after cleaning the heads and demagnetized.

After a while it developed a high pitched squeal. If you hit stop and play again from the same position on the tape, it would play normally for 10 mins. and do it again. At first I thought it might be the capstans need to be lubed, but I think it's something else. The strange thing is that it does it on both sides, A&B. It does it with all tapes too.

I don't have a clue. Any ideas to what it may be?

Here's a short video, and make sure to keep your speaker level low!:)

Attachments

• JVC TD-W805.JPG
    JVC TD-W805.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Silly question, but does it do it on all tapes? Squeals can often come from slight reel mis;ignmemnt when the tape wind is being forced against one side, rather the bang in the centre, and as the tape winds the friction gets more and more as the spool fills up?

Silly question, but does it do it on all tapes? Squeals can often come from slight reel mis;ignmemnt when the tape wind is being forced against one side, rather the bang in the centre, and as the tape winds the friction gets more and more as the spool fills up?

Thanks rob for the reply.
I did mention that it does it on all tapes, both pre-recorded, and my own. You know the saying, a picture's worth a thousand words? I had a short video with audio of the "squeal". It's quite loud and very high frequency, so loud you can't stay in the same room! You just have to hear it to appreciate it. I'll post it as soon as I can. The mean time, I have 2 other cassette decks to listen to.

Back