Just Won on eBay - Otari MX-5050 MKIII-2

DigitalDon

Yeah I just won this deck on eBay for $51. No the decimal point isn't in the wrong place. You guys in the know please tell me I did the right thing!! The guy had it on a 3 day auction and it ended at about 4:00 AM. Poor planning on his part. Pic below. Shipping is $100. Should have been around $80 but that's OK

DD

"concept of cool" ???? :rolleyes:

I'm not one of those who keep every "cool" equipment in their house... (just because of it being "cool"....)

strange.

Sure an 8 track would be nice but a 4 track will be sufficient for my needs being a newbie to tape. The main thing I wanted it for was to track drums. 2 overheads, a kick and snare. I don't plan on tracking all instruments at one time anyhow since I'm limited to 8 tracks at once with my Aardvark Q10. After mixdown I'd like to send the stereo tracks to tape, pushing the levels a little, then back to the computer. I've got a lot of playing around to do (and learning). I'm really looking forward to it.

Coolness is in the eye of the beholder and to me it says "cool." Nuff said.

DD

That is really cool. Something like that would be great for making fat drum loops and samples.
You can get one pass tape at the tape for about half the price.

gilwe said:
"concept of cool" ???? :rolleyes:

I'm not one of those who keep every "cool" equipment in their house... (just because of it being "cool"....)

strange.

You could use it as a mixdown deck, pushing the drums and bass hard to get funky tapecompression, and having the other tracks not pushed har.

For example. Yes, coool.

well, it's not the coolness we're discussing here but the space needed for all those reel-to-reel machines... of course I would have loved to have one of those in my studio but there's not enough room for an analog guy as me, when using mostly analog equipment (synths, recorders, mixers...) still have to arrange some space for my next 16 track reel-to-reel... not much has left after getting two analog synths and a pianet T in my studio/living room lately... I may take my bed out thought :) (not really)

If it has a third head (and it probably does) you can send tracks out of the computer to the tape deck and patch the play back to the input of the computer again, then slide them into allignment. You could use tape saturation on any number of tracks that way.

gilwe said:
well, it's not the coolness we're discussing here

Yes it was. Specifically. And you discussed it too. Nobody is asking YOU to buy I 4-track. And nobody is asking YOU to like it.
Which is why it's kinda silly of you to spend energy by coming up with all those reasons not to buy one. And it's even more silly of you to try to claim that the discussion weren't about coolness instead of just admitting that we convinced you that it's cool. :cool: :cool: :cool:

SOB just cancelled his eBay membership. Damn, I had a feeling that was going to happen. Asshole!! Oh well, at least I didn't already send the money. My first bad experience on eBay other than having my credit card number stolen by Paypal/Billpoint but that's another story. I'll keep looking because I definitely want to get into tape.

DD

Sorry regebro, but I'm NOT gonna turn this stupid discussion to another "under 13 years old" discussion, although you're trying so hard to make it such.

I LOVE analog !

Wow Don, that sucks. Good for you gilwe, don't let regdork do you like that. One thing I know of that's not cool and it's regbro's avatar.

gilwe said:
Sorry regebro, but I'm NOT gonna turn this stupid discussion to another "under 13 years old" discussion.

I think you already have. But first putting down people that like stuff because they are cool, and then trying to claim the discussion isn't a bout coolness, you immediately shown immense immaturity.
Which of course was what I was trying to point out, discreetly. I didn't suceed, as usual. I'm not good at being subtle. :)

regebro said:
I think you already have. But first putting down people that like stuff because they are cool, and then trying to claim the discussion isn't a bout coolness, you immediately shown immense immaturity.
Which of course was what I was trying to point out, discreetly. I didn't suceed, as usual. I'm not good at being subtle. :)
Sure reg, sure, it's all part of your master plan...I know.

Back