Just got Tascam 246. It worked but now will not turn on

It is best to stop fooling around with all kinds of abstract methods and have the deck corrected by a Technician who can fix it. Some do not like this idea and end up with a deck that works off speed and has all kinds of other problems that will make themselves known down the line.
I have seen some real goofed up decks by DIY type repairs including caps changed with long leads glued down with silicon glue. The problem he had was a blow out op amp but all that junk that was put on the board all had to be corrected. Cheaper and easier to fix it if he did not put all that extra work on the board.

I mean I am generally good at fixing things and I have an associate's in electronics, but I finished it a few years ago and havent used the information. If it had some kind of major technical issue then I would do that. But no one around me repairs cassette decks that I know of. There is one guy who might repair the electronics side of it though but the electronics seem alright. Also I would not do a janky job like adding capacitors with glue lol.

Anyway I have an update! I have found a solution to the pinch roller problem and it is looking pretty! I will say that the pinch roller assembly does bob very slightly when playing, but not very noticeably, and I don't notice any difference in the sound anymore. There is definitely no more tape slippage problem.
What I did was take the new rubber off of the core of the new rubber roller, and the old rubber off the old one. Then clean up and regrease the old core, and then put the new roller on the old core. I leveled it so it is as straight as possible. I may get a different rubber in the future because this one seems to be slightly out of round, which causes the bobbing. However, there is not a noticeable warble, so it gets a temporary but good-enough-for-now thumbs up!
I can now also confirm the speed issue is not due to the pinch roller (unless of course the pressure is ridiculously off, but I doubt that.) So now I am at the last issue! The speed is around 13% too fast on the 1 7/8 ips setting.
20190317_203329.jpg20190317_204911.jpg20190317_205116.jpg

Okay so I tried adjusting R514 which is the low speed control as it said in the manual, and I turned it all the way down as much as it would go. Still not slow enough, but closer. The tape is normal speed with the pitch control around 10 o'clock now. I am going to have to assume that both speeds are faster than they should be

Back