Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Just got Tascam 246. It worked but now will not turn on

Thanks

Just got Tascam 246. It worked but now will not turn on

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello all! My name is Mathis, and I am new to this forum and home recording, but I got a Tascam 246 a few days ago (knowing it needed new tires and a new pinch roller. It was working fine, and I had it apart and it was working fine too. I kept it in the bottom half of its shell so it would not touch the floor. I took it apart a little deeper last night, but only taking off the row of inputs metal bracket on the front and the motherboard that is attached to those inputs by white wires so i could see if i could spray deoxit in that way into the pots because they need it.

Anyway, I got the new pinch roller in the mail today, got it installed, and the machine will not turn on at all! In the multiple times I tried, I did see the tape heads move up once, even though there was no tape in there. When I was taking out the old pinch roller, the whole assembly of them moved back without power, so maybe it was readjusting that. But no lights will come on or anything. I feel like there is something silly that is wrong with it or that i am doing wrong but I dont know what and i need some help. Thank you!

Thanks
    Okay now I am actually getting it to turn on but its flickering on and off and making an electrical sparky noise. So i think the cord is lose somewhere.

Thanks
    Okay yeah it was something silly, at least I hope. It may have been a lose plug om the psu.

Thanks
    After some testing, it is having a problem with it moving the tape heads too far forward when it is in stop, rewind or fast forward. But not always. But when it does it cant move the tape to rewind or when stopped, it is sometimes difficult to put a tape in or take it out.

Thanks
    Hi. There is a motor in the transport that, via a small belt, and xyends and retracts the headblock assembly. When things are partially disassembled to replace the capstan belt, the gear mechanism that the control belt drives is separated. When you put it back together you have to make sure that the headblock is in the lowest position and then make sure the gear mechanism is aligned so it is also at the end of its travel that corresponds with the headblock lowest position state. This is all from memory...I ran into this on a 234 which uses the same transport assembly. With your 246 powered off and unplugged from the wall, find that motor with the small control belt (looks like a smaller black rubber band). Manually turn the motor pulley and observe what it moves; how it extends and retracts the headblock assembly. Hopefully you can figure out or see how when the heads are at their lowest position the gear mechanism is supposed to be at the end of its travel. My hunch is it’s off.

Thanks
    Oh okay. You know, that makes a lot of sense, since the seller of this machine replaced all the belts but did not seem to know enough, or didnt want to put in the effort, to replace the tires and pinch roller, and clean it up. I will try this for sure.
    I actually ran into a couple other problems as well. First of all, I replaced the pinch roller but the hole in the center was slightly too large. I found a seller who sells a bunch of different sized ones but he only has pictures of them next to rulers to show their dimensions. The machine is playing tapes too fast. Would this cause that? Also, they are playing too quiet but that could be me. I tried but was not successful on trying to record onto a tape and play it back, but I was able to play a regular tape very quietly.
    I had also replaced the tires that turns the spindles but I simply went to home depot to try and find a washer and I found one that fit, but it is round instead of flat. It seems to be about the right size though. They slip a little but not much, and I can turn the wheel with my finger and see it turn the gold motor shaft and spindles when it touches both. Do you think this is okay?
    I will also be giving all the controls a good Deoxit session once it arrives in the mail, and replace a bulb on one of the VU meters when that arrives as well, Just to let you know where i am at. Thank you!

Thanks
    Be aware that many portastudio machines run the tape at double speed for higher quality. I believe the 246 is one of those.

Thanks
    Okay, I turned the gig white wheel with large holes in it, attached by a small band to a plastic motor pully, and it interlocks gears with a black plastic gear with an odd shape on it. This moves the assembly back and forth. Starting from furthest counterclockwise position, the heads are all the way out (would be in the tape). Then, after about 3 full turns, the heads go in. Then back out in another turn. Then 7 more turns and back in they go, and then they go back out in 1 full turn again. And then they stay out for the last 2.5 turns and thats the end of the wheel turning. Now I have to figure out which end is supposed to have the heads in instead of out.

Thanks
    And oh yes, it does. But it also has a speed switch to go to normal speed. A pitch control. I can only get the speed right however with the pitch knob all the way down.

Thanks
    Okay so I found that where it puts the heads in stop mode, when it has the heads in the tape still just a little is about 3 and 1/16th turns counterclockwise from the most clockwise point that the wheel will go. Sometimes in stop mode, it moved the heads back just enough to get the tape out. FF is 4 1/4 turns counterclockwise, and rewind is the same. So should it be at these points where the heads are not going in the tape? Or should it be at the end of its travel also?

Thread Information