Its Ba ack

I wish I were wealthy enough to buy it just to understand what the hell someone was doing with it.

It has a lot of nonstandard mods...

of questionable merit and unknown utilty. It almost looks like it was modified for some sort of fixed installation, or voice-overs, but that's purely speculation. There's nonstandard I/O (BNC and DB25) & a dubious "remote" input (multipin barrel connector) on the back. Plus, the suitcase handle. There are too many unknowns about this unit, and it's anything but standard.:eek:;)

It's labelled Zetec FM-22-4, so it's a nonstandard something, but we don't know what.

The layman or person off the street wouldn't know how or why this unit was modified, or if it still functions as a standard unit would perform. At the minimum it's misrepresented, by not mentioning the obvious fact it's been modified, tho' the seller may not be aware of it.:eek:;)

Maybe those mods are dy-no-mite improvements on the original design, but would you want to take that chance? For the Newbie level recordist it's not recommended. Herm's a 22-4 expert, and he wouldn't touch it. What's that leave in between? Call Zetec and ask about the mods? It could be optimized as a flight data recorder, for all we know.... or for dispatch logging? Too many unknowns. It has a "Dupe" switch on the back! Sweet!:eek:;)

Attachments

• 1-Tascam 22-4 modified a.jpg
    1-Tascam 22-4 modified a.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Strange beast. Appears to be modified for testing by these guys.

http://www.zetec.com/company_history.html

"Originally headquartered in Issaquah, Washington, Zetec created their first analog testers in small offices and even in an old dairy barn. The original testers utilized reel-to-reel recorders and simple robotic positioners, Zetec products have advanced enormously. Today, Zetec offers a full line of state-of-the-art eddy current inspection systems as well as ultrasonic testers, robotics, software, scanners and probes."

Aaaaggghhhh!!! Bad sign!!!!

This appears to be the "power on test", with "Source(input)" selected, all Rec-Funct buttons depressed and...

all 4 VU meters pegged all the way to the right!

Based on there presumably being no inputs connected (as in the pics) and knobs turned down to "0" that's a really bad sign!

It's been modified and rebranded a Zetec FM-22-4, but only Zetec would know the nature of the mods.

YIKES!

Attachments

• 1-Tascam 22-4 modded 2 a.jpg
    1-Tascam 22-4 modded 2 a.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 46

It also displays visible offset on the VU meters as selected to "SYNC", presumably with no input signal.

"You have to ask yourself, 'Do I feel lucky today'. Well, do'ya?":eek::eek:;)

Attachments

• 1-Tascam 22-4 modded 3 a.jpg
    1-Tascam 22-4 modded 3 a.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 43
So, there'ya go!

Thank you for the quick and topical research, Beck!:eek:;)

Modified as a recorder for robotics test platforms. Sweet!

Or,... as an "automated" tester interfacing to robotics. Same difference, eh?

See,... "flight data recorder" wasn't too farfetched of a guess!:eek:;)

Machine control program data unit is more likely a fitting name or description.

I like the handle, tho'!

Then,... for $9.99 you could get a great parts machine!

Attachments

• 1-Tascam 22-4 modified 4 a.jpg
    1-Tascam 22-4 modified 4 a.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 42
I asked him what the handle was for and if it had any non-standard mods...This is what he replied to me with...

The handle is part of the case. When its closed you can carry it. It appears to function well.

Back