Internal preamp question

Herr Joachim

I have received a nice offer on a Nagra 4.2.
It is a mono full track recorder, yet it has
two phantom powered mic inputs.

It has two banana plug line outs.
Does this mean i can use the unit as a two
channel preamp as well, and get separate
mono tracks into another recorder - not
recording onto the Nagra's tape of course?

Here is a very detailed description of the
recorder in pdf: Nagra 4.2
Page 13 shows the line outs.

Have a nice evening.

I went through the whole damn linked manual and have not found the exact answer to that question. there's no exact answer to that question in the damn manual , that what I mean :D
Now, for guessing:
If it would be possible, than, as I understand it would be the Record mode and Direct monitoring mode (or maybe test mode would do the same).
Now the question is: whether or not the signal, that goes to output(s), is(are) being taken before or after mixing stage. I would imagine it is "after mixing", so you can use two preamps at the same time, but you get the microphones "mix" (and plus line input, if it is also in use) at both outputs of the deck. I think that this is the way it is, because if the outputs were not "parallel", then it would be noted somewhere somehow in the manual and explained which output gets signal from where, or maybe there would be even a special switches for each output, so you could select what signal to route to the output...which, by the way, Nagaras makers/designers are good at...he-heh-heh :D ....they would put a switch on everything and anything they could think of and anywhere they've got a space for one :p :D

/later

Thanks Zee.

I didn't intend that anyone should read through the
collected works of Nagra Kudelski.

I bought the recorder, i'll have it sometime next week.
Just hoping i could sell my preamp.
The 5" reels for the nagra offers 8 minutes of 15ips recording time btw.
Imagine the possibilities with 8 minutes of mono recording!

Have a nice weekend.

Herr Joachim said:
Imagine the possibilities with 8 minutes of mono recording!.
heh heh, ...
Based on my extremly limited imagination I'd say: it's unimaginable. :D
and what a MINUTES those would be!!!! - quarter-inch-fat! and taking breath away ace-piloted ones! :p ... it actually may be pretty damn phat ;)
It would be cool if you post back when you get the machine, so to clear up that output 'mystery'.
good luck,

.....speaking of breath-taking-away and top-guns, was Giorgio trying to be like a top-gun, or was Tom trying to be like Giorgio? :confused: :confused: Or were they both aiming at being like Bill? hmmm? If they were, then Bono (who knows all about it ;)) said: "You've got the wrong ones, baby... I mean, dudes". But then Spinner said: "Rrrrraaafffff, Bono. Who asked you , damn it?! Who're you to tell me what's right or what's wrong on my nose?"

Attachments

• spinners.jpg
    spinners.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 26
I'd love to get me one of those full track nagras! :D

Sorry if that doesn't answer your question but I've read the preamps on those things are really out of this world! :eek:

I'd bet my left nut if you asked on rec.audio.pro (from google groups) that they would be able to answer your original question. :)

cjacek said:
I'd bet my left nut if you asked on rec.audio.pro (from google groups) that they would be able to answer your original question. :)
....which will put you in the situation where you are just a nut away from never having a chance to hear "Hi, daddy!" ... (unless you already hear it every day) :D

Back