Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Interface Recommendation - Teac 80-8 / Tascam 244

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Interface Recommendation - Teac 80-8 / Tascam 244

    Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey there, after reading a lot on this forum and getting a lot of help I got me a Teac 80-8 with a Tascam M216 and now it's finally time to get my interface. My plan is to record on the 80-8 through the M216 and master on a 244. I know some of you might get upset about the last sentence but I really want to try to master on the cassette tape and then bring the master back to the 80-8 and so on just for the search of "a sound".

    I am looking for recommendations on an audio interface which is in my budget (80-100 usd) and which is capable of bringing the 2 mastered tracks to computer. No need to work on the songs on the computer I just want to bring them to the digital world for releasing them. It's hard to put tape on bandcamp and co., unfortunately.

    Thank you for reading this!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Wales
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,404
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 106 Times in 97 Posts
    Rep Power
    2215120
    Do you have any specific requirements? More than 2 channels? OSX? Linux? A completely standalone device so it'll work on any OS at all?
    What sort of connection do you need for the computer? USB usually works fine for a stereo interface (unless it's shoddy and causes ground loop noise like my Edirol UA25). For PCIe the Asus Xonar D2X works very nicely, and is shielded from the rest of the machine.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    729
    Thanks
    124
    Thanked 115 Times in 106 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chillward View Post
    Hey there, after reading a lot on this forum and getting a lot of help I got me a Teac 80-8 with a Tascam M216 and now it's finally time to get my interface. My plan is to record on the 80-8 through the M216 and master on a 244. I know some of you might get upset about the last sentence but I really want to try to master on the cassette tape and then bring the master back to the 80-8 and so on just for the search of "a sound".

    I am looking for recommendations on an audio interface which is in my budget (80-100 usd) and which is capable of bringing the 2 mastered tracks to computer. No need to work on the songs on the computer I just want to bring them to the digital world for releasing them. It's hard to put tape on bandcamp and co., unfortunately.

    Thank you for reading this!
    Look into the Alesis 4 channel mixer. $99.00. It will do as you wish with extras to spare. Make sure you click on one of the communities ads, as it will help pay for their hosting if you decide to buy it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Trending
    Posts
    18,743
    Thanks
    303
    Thanked 874 Times in 763 Posts
    Rep Power
    21470743
    Quote Originally Posted by chillward View Post
    I am looking for recommendations on an audio interface which is in my budget (80-100 usd) and which is capable of bringing the 2 mastered tracks to computer.
    Any 2-channel interface will be more than adequate for your audio coming off the cassette player. Just go to Sweetwater or Musician's Friend and buy the interface that fits your budget (even the cheapest ones will do) and that will work with your computer OS, and the type of hook-up you want to use...USB, PCIe, whatever you have.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmorris View Post
    Do you have any specific requirements? More than 2 channels? OSX? Linux? A completely standalone device so it'll work on any OS at all?
    What sort of connection do you need for the computer? USB usually works fine for a stereo interface (unless it's shoddy and causes ground loop noise like my Edirol UA25). For PCIe the Asus Xonar D2X works very nicely, and is shielded from the rest of the machine.
    Oh sorry forgot to mention the digital specs. I do work with a Macbook operating with OSX. I think USB would be best suited but there's also a firewire port. Is there anything you could recommend for the TEAC 80-8?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    Any 2-channel interface will be more than adequate for your audio coming off the cassette player.
    Is there anything I have to consider between an interface transporting from the 244 to the laptop and the 80-8 or shouldn't that be a huge problem / difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mack Caster View Post
    Look into the Alesis 4 channel mixer. $99.00. It will do as you wish with extras to spare. Make sure you click on one of the communities ads, as it will help pay for their hosting if you decide to buy it.
    Thanks I will definitley look this one up!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack Caster View Post
    Look into the Alesis 4 channel mixer. $99.00. It will do as you wish with extras to spare. Make sure you click on one of the communities ads, as it will help pay for their hosting if you decide to buy it.
    I just saw there is an 8 channel version as well. could this bring me the 8 individual tracks recorded from the teac 80-8 to the notebook? If so, I might consider using a DAW.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    729
    Thanks
    124
    Thanked 115 Times in 106 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chillward View Post
    I just saw there is an 8 channel version as well. could this bring me the 8 individual tracks recorded from the teac 80-8 to the notebook? If so, I might consider using a DAW.
    No. Most if not all mixers that have USB capabilities, will only give your a left and right input into a DAW. I own the 8 channel as well and they are two channels only. Your original post only stated you needed an input if I am not mistaken,
    "which is capable of bringing the 2 mastered tracks to computer".
    I also use the Tascam US 16x8 and I use Reaper to lay down 16 separate tracks at once. If this is what you need to do, check out the Tascam 4x4 audio interface.
    Last edited by Mack Caster; 11-06-2017 at 11:46. Reason: Added Quotes

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Trending
    Posts
    18,743
    Thanks
    303
    Thanked 874 Times in 763 Posts
    Rep Power
    21470743
    Quote Originally Posted by chillward View Post
    Is there anything I have to consider between an interface transporting from the 244 to the laptop and the 80-8 or shouldn't that be a huge problem / difference?
    What you have coming from your tape machines is analog audio...that's all that the interface will see or care about.
    I will assume your cassette if running on -10 dBV unbalanced, so you want the interface to have both a +4 dBu and -10dBV choice. The unbalanced/balanced is not much of an issue...and most interfaces will take what you give them without a problem.

    Now...coming out of the interface, if you plan to go back to the analog gear, again just make sure the output format can be adjusted to fit your analog gear. Low into High isn't usually an issue, but you're better off avoiding having a +4 signal going to a -10 input...though much of that stuff can be adjusted usually.

    Do you know what the I/O specs are of your analog gear?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Wales
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,404
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 106 Times in 97 Posts
    Rep Power
    2215120
    As I suspected, the Alesis tops out at 16 bit, 48KHz. That's good enough to equal DAT or CD, but a device capable of 24 bit 96KHz would be an improvement, especially if you plan to do any digital correction afterwards.

    The M-Audio M-track 2x2 looks decent except that they've done this weird thing where they've put the two input channels on the opposite sides of the chassis, literally one at the front and one at the rear. A cheaper alternative is the Behringer u-phoria umc202hd, which at least has the left and right channels next to each other. I've yet to find any complaints about USB bus noise - other than that it's probably just a reference design for the codec chip anyway.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Need interface and mic recommendation
    By johnnycr in forum Digital Recording & Computers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-17-2013, 17:55
  2. Teac 80-8 > tascam M208B > Teac 3340s
    By AllenM in forum Analog Recording & Mixing - Tape & Gear
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-07-2010, 14:19
  3. Interface Recommendation
    By illuminatedwax in forum Digital Recording & Computers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-27-2008, 07:01
  4. another interface recommendation question!
    By MrNemo in forum Digital Recording & Computers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2008, 07:19
  5. MIDI interface recommendation?
    By bean 123 in forum MIDI Mania
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-13-2003, 18:29

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •