Inexpensive VU Meter Lamps, Bulbs

sweetbeats

Reel deep thoughts...
Thanks to evm1024, if you need lamps for your VU meters you might want to check out the offerings at Parts Express and potentially save yourself a bundle of dough.

Here are "axial" 100mA solder lead type bulbs in 6, 8 and 12V...these are the same ones I paid about $8 each from Tascam and Parts Express has them for $1.09. :eek: These are the type to replace the bulbs in the likes of the 133, 234, 244, 246, M-300 series, 38, 48, 58, BR-20...lots of others I'm sure. I bought 4 of these from Teac for my M-520 because they didn't have the proper fuse type bulbs available. Anyway, no guarantees, but they sure look like the same thing. Worth getting one in each voltage and testing them out. Here is the link:

http://www.parts-express.com/wizard...CAT&srchCat=285&CFID=6886865&CFTOKEN=69677855

To add insult to injury they also have something that looks an awful lot like the fuse type bulbs found in the M-500 series mixers and many others I'm sure...also in 6 and 8V in 250mA and 12V in 150mA...the length seems to match up with the OEM bulbs in my M-520...again, might be worth picking up one in each voltage and trying them out. Here is the link:

http://www.parts-express.com/wizard...CAT&srchCat=287&CFID=6886865&CFTOKEN=69677855

I've purchased a number of items from Parts Express and have always had a good experience with them. They are great for certain types of items and I frequently check in at their website for price comparison on certain things. Totally missed this and Ethan caught it so if this helps you give evm1024 some green chiclets! ;)

cool!

A long time ago... years, I bought the last 4 of those from them. They didn't know if they would get any more... glad they did. :)

Super

Thanks for getting the word out Cory. I've been meaning to post those links for ever...Things at rest and all.

Rep to you.

--Ethan

Fuse Lamps Wrong Style

Well folks I received 3 sets of the fuse lamps from Parts Express today (2 each 6V, 8V and 12V...I was all prepared to do a comparison test ad post up pics of the results, but they do not fit in the M-520 style large VU meters like I thought they would. Take a look:

Parts%20Express%20Fuse%20Lamps.JPG

Clearly they are not the same shape and size on top of not being frosted. Granted, the holder could be bent (mangled) around to hold the new lamps but the wouldn't hold very well...bummer.

Now this doesn't mean anything about the non-capped wire-lead style bulbs mentioned in post #1 that Parts Express also has (for the smaller VU meters)...those look like they'd be the right match for replacements.

Just thought I'd get this up right away to prevent others from trying it out wth the fuse-style lamps, and hopefully nobody has been inconvenienced. :o

FWIW, I buy standard numbered bulb types from 1000bulbs.com. Type 47 "Fender" amp light bulbs and miscellaneous bulbs for transport buttons. Type 1815 bulbs for Littlite model G, for example, are something like $2 for a box of ten. Just order a bunch of stuff at once, because the minimum shipping and handling is going to be more than a single ten-pack of bulbs.

Cheers,

Otto

Cory, the only difference I noticed between the bulbs from Tascam and PE was that the Tascam bulbs were frosted and a little dimmer. Then again, it might be that I bought the wrong bulbs....

I'm having an odd issue with the Parts Express page. The area where the product description should appear is stuck on "Loading..." and it keeps trying to load a page in the background.

I have 8 volt 100 ma DC VU meter lamps, but they are the "fuse type" and measure 1.15 inches x 0.25 inches.

Unfortunately I have not found the axial lamps.

Back