Im bored to death!

Herm

When is the Tascam board comming back up?

Im sitting here wishing my 312 would show up and find out it just got shipped today. Man I was looking forward to playing with it this long weekend.

Also i would like to know what all you Analog guys are using for effects. Are you using digital stuff or sticking to Analog stuff?

I use a mix of both analog and digital outboard effects.

I have an (uggg!) Alesis 3630 analog stereo compressor

An analog BBE2002 sonic maximizer

An analog Rolls stereo 1/3 octave eq

A digital Yamaha REV500 reverb/effects processor.

I know, I hear you snickering out there! But, hey! It works for me.

Cheers! :)

If it works thats all that matters.

For now all I have is a Fostex spring reverb, fostex graghic eq
And a Alesis nanoverb, I dont know how it sounds on anything cause i only used it for reverb for vocals in the head phones when i used digital recording.
I need a descent compressor, Thinking about the rnc unit but i want to get the noise reduction units for my 38 first.
There is a pair of units on ebay now but I think the guy is a little high on the price.

I'm not OFFICIALY in the Reel to Reel game yet, but I'm a certified analog 4-tracker... All I have is a Symetrix CL-150 compressor (Mono :( ) that I bought for two clams at a yard sale and like you, a Nano-Verb.

I've done some pretty cool guitar by first recording a fairly clean guitar track then at mix down going Tape cue out > Nano (Rotary cab effect) and back into > a spare channel (Then pan and sink it under the clean guitar) The rotary guitar doubled under the clean track was awesome! (Like a subliminal organ bed while the clean guitar was out front.) :)

Live playing I only use reverb.

Various

Digital Effects

Alesis Midifex
Alesis Midiverb II
Alesis Midiverb 4
Alesis Quadraverb
Yamaha SPX90

Analog

Yamaha GC2020 comp/limiter
BBE 422 Sonic Maximizer
Alesis M-EQ 30 1/3 octave eq
Tascam PE-20 parametric eq
Various Boss and Ibanez guitar pedals

I use the Midifex mostly for guitar. The Quadraverb is on my keyboard mixer (Great Leslie effect). Midiverb II and SPX90 are generally used for drums and vocals. I haven’t had the Midiverb 4 very long so it hasn’t really found its place yet.

I can’t say enough about the Midiverb II for a good general reverb. The SPX90 is either loved or hated by anyone who uses them. I’ve had this one since about 1986 and still keep discovering cool things to do with it.

Tim
:cool:

Last edited:
Well, honestly, I haven't recorded anything in the longest time!

And even then, I'm not in the practice of using any recoding efx, at all. My last recording was sans-efx, with the exception of the "Roadkill Distortion" pedal on guitars, [re: Moonage Daydream].

Beyond that, I have at my disposal, in no particular order:

-Fostex 3070 dual compressor
-Fostex 3180 dual reverb
-Fostex 3050 digital delay
-Yamaha R100, 1/2-rack sized digital delay/reverb
-Tascam PE-40, 4-band/4-channel fully parametric EQ
-Tascam GE-20, dual 10-band graphic EQ

... all of which I never seem to use, but they're there, in the studio, ready to go, if I need them!

I have a small assortment of guitar pedals and the Boss BE-5 multi effects, plus the BE-5B multi-efx for bass.

ALL THAT GREAT GEAR, and I seldom use effects!

Anyway, I flat-out just have to record MORE, period! I can always pick up the instruments and practice, plink around really, but it seems to take a BIG push of inspiration for me to get any recording production underway,... and I have to change that!

I need to be recording all the time! I'll probably start small, on the Portastudio again. That, or the wonderous 388, is as convenient as the Portastudio, less portability.

Anyway,... what was the topic?:rolleyes:

I dont think there really is a topic.
I know what you mean RR about getting goning on a recording.
I dont know how you did all those songs on Dave Mania.

I am just starting to try and record and play on a song of just myself but growing up as a just a drummer the othere instruments com hard to me and I have to pick something that is easy. And even then I have a real hard time getting my guitar to sound good through the amp i have, Not sure if its the guitar or the amp but it just sounds bad.
I started a song last week and then decided to wait till the new board gets here so I can give it a work out.

Well, you've heard the legend,...

That the original 'Davemania' was began as a vehicle to showcase my latest, most recent tunes, at the time being "Listen to My Heart" and "Love Me Do", both done on the 388, BTW, and also based on some conversations I had going on with dtb and others, re: recording. At some point, I believe hlblyhpy said, [para], "Well Dave, you're talking all technical to us, but do you have any recorded examples of what you're talking about?". And, so began the collating of tunes, from the most recent ones, back through the archives, and it somehow ballooned up to 3-cds. Point being, here, that the 3-cd "Off White Album" -[Davemania 3-cd set], was collated from recordings spanning over many years. It only seems like a lot of recording, when you sit down & listen to it in one sitting. Ha.

THEN, on the other side of this POINT, is that there was a FOURTH full length CD, which I DID record in a very short amount of time, and it was 28 songs in 4-tracks, in appx 7 weeks, and that still remains as a 'record' for me. Ha-, pun. Anyway, there WAS a sudden kick of inspiration that got me on that project, and it was that Joey Ramone had just DIED. I was quite traumatized, that, & also being the really eerie feeling that the most previous tune I had just finished WAS the Ramones' "Listen to My Heart". THAT just kicked me into a frenzy, recording the BULK of the 'Ramones Tribute Sessions' of 2001. Well, THAT, in itself, is a HUGE amount of recording, but as I said, I was INSPIRED, and I didn't stop until I had it ALL out of me!

Okay, moving on, I also am doing the multi-instrumental approach, and I think it's the best way to go, BTW, and the only way to go if you don't have any people to jam with. Ha.

Anyway, I feel best on rythm guitar, bass, and 'chordal' piano, of which I think I play pretty well. But, I think overall I labor most over DRUMS. That's LIVE drums onto TRACKS. So, we all struggle with the different aspects of production, when we're a one-man-band, don't we?

Anyway, what is today's PRE-PRODUCTION, is tomorrow's MESS OF WIRES! [And you heard it here, first!/DA]

Bottom line: I just gotta record more, if not for 'experimental' purposes. I gotta run tape more on my loose 'jams', FWIW, and see if there's anything worth salvaging in there, HA!;)

Anyway, [more], I enjoy playing and especially recording, and I just do to little of it, lately, and I mean to change that!

I'll probaby just plink around, informally, & ramp up on production a bit, until some more inspiration hits me, for the big, all-out production.;)

Well, with the labour day weekend approaching, I intend to spend all of it in the studio.

I am working on an older tune that I wrote 18 years ago and we are off to good start on it with the drums, bass, rhythm guitar and vocals laid down.

I posted a working mix of it in the clinic here and got a few good ideas of how to spruce it up and that's what I will be working on.

I know all about the slump feeling of not recording and I feel like crap when I don't use it and the stuff just sits there collecting dust.

When I am recording and getting half decent results, it inspires me to continue and getting feedback on the mixes here, helps the urge more by hearing what others are doing and wanting to feel like I am active and productive.

We can collect gear till there's no room to breath but, at some point, you have to say to yourself, I got this stuff to use it. Not just to look at it.

So, put up a reel, get out your guitar hit record and see what happens. Some magnetic magic could be right around the corner!

Doggone, RP and GFM, damn it's good to hear you guys actually talk about recording. :) Here it is midnight, bored to death, worn out from working on the roof from hell. Finally finished the MOFO today. Sitting in my bare room, watching some boring TV, and boring ebay and decide to check out the good ole analog forum. And what do I find? Some REAL posts that are more than a sentence long.:D I love it when you guys get into it talking about what you've done. Damn, I was loosing sight of what the fuck I've been working towards for near on 20 yrs. TONS of tapes that I've never edited, never got anything on CD, and now I'm pissed.:D Hearing you guys talk about recording.........crap. Gotta get off my ass and get this studio back togeather. I don't give a shit what it is I record.
I JUST GOT TO RECORD SOMETHING!!! I'm.. I'm..having....withdrawals..... But fuck, my studio is in 200 boxes buryed in the garage..........wait .....HALALUA!!! I just remembered something. My son will finally be here tomorrow with my 42b......I've NEVER seen it!! ....YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!:cool: man, its with one of the tascam roll around racks too!! got 2 of em. Hey, what remote works with that? the 71? How about the NR....which unit works with it? or do you guys just forget the NR? Comeon, comeon, I want to hear it all!! I know you guys know TONS of stuff. TELL ME ALL!!:cool: Good god....I must be loosing it......no recording in 4 months....no guitar playing.......no cold beer.......OOPS! I forgot heheheheh:D I quit drinking ..
AND I'm outa fatties......crap....well...better drink some more grapefruit juice and mountain dew. Hmmmm, where did I bury the box of cassettes.....

fitZ:p

Man! I was thinking about you waiting for your 312 to arrive in the mail Herm, then I remembered the holiday!!!
Hopefully you get it today and can have some fun.
If not Tuesday!!! :(

Yeah FITZ, me too, I just gotta record SOMETHING!

Even if it's just an informal jam onto a cassette Portastudio, for experimental purposes. I miss it too, with all the day-to-day rigors, and all the distractions & energy draining stuff of life.

Recording, IMO, is a creative, regenerative experience, and once you've [I've] kicked something off, and is underway, it becomes more of a joy than a drudge. It's getting the inspiration and incentive to strap up those reels, cassettes, whatever, and pressing the RED button. I have TONS, no, MILES of TAPE, and tape-economy is not a limitation for me,... it's just my day-to-day energy level, or lack thereof. I'll get on it, too, because fontmeister's right, with as cool as this equipment looks, it's not just a table-piece to look at, to talk about, & to collect dust. The thing actually records!

As for the 42b, well, it should take the DX-2D dbx NR, like the other 2-tracks, and the RC-71 is the remote for it, although an RC-90 will also work, and has one extra button/unused.

Yeah, life can be a drudgery, but recording's the antidote to boredom,... guaranteed!

You guys don't know how many time's I've began to stage pre-production on my 388, only to let it lapse, and to later get back to it, it seems just like a BIG MESS'O WIRES! So, the answer to that, is to start AND FINISH preproduction in one sitting, [ALSO TO LABEL THINGS BETTER!], and THEN just get to the point of PLAYING and ROLLING TAPE.

"TAPE", I said, & pardon all you digital/HD/DAW guys,... but...

Tape is where it's at, baby!

;)

Recording is fun , but there is nothing that matches the orgasmic thrill of opening a large package and finding a mint condition Tascam 244 or equivalent.

I remember getting my brand new in the box Portastudio 244.

I was happy.

I was excited!

But, I didn't soil myself!!:D

Several years latter, with middle age creeping ever closer, I will heed your advice an be sure to put on a Depends under garment before I open up my next shipping carton.

Thanks, Derek.;)

Hey Herm, so your just getting into analog huh? What were you using before?

Well I seem to have lost my manners. I didn't address your question. Sorry.

I havn't even mixed anything yet really. Messed around, but during tracking, the only effects I use is a little verb in the cans. Maybe a little chorus on the acoustics.

(2) ART Multiverbs I don't think this is an analog effects in the normal sense. It converts to digital and back.
(1) ART SGX guitar effects.
(1) Lexicon Core 32 digital interface-w/ PC-90 reverb daughter card. I can run aux sends to this for stereo reverbs.
I don't think compressors etc. are effects, although I guess you can use them as such. I have the regular outboards. Not too many.. Just enough to have fun.
Man, to tell you the truth, I have a bunch of stuff, but i've never even used. Ebay exploits. Ha! But it's all been packed away for 4 months and I don't even remember what I have. You know, the best thing about moving is opening the boxes. Like Christmas:D

I tell you though, for the last 5 years, I have changed my focus from equipment, to the rooms. I just now bought a piece of property to build my last studio. Thanks to the guys over in the Building forum, I've learned a lot and now plan to implement what I've learned.
Now, once I get it built, I'm going to prove one way or another what works and what don't as far as acoustics are concerned. Soundproofing is the really hard stuff. And the mundane construction stuff. But once thats done, then the fun stuff
starts. Putting in the 703 panels. Hardwood flooring. etc.
Then my console, which I'll post some pics of here soon. I think you will like it. It was originally designed for (2) 312's. I got way out on the design stuff cause I do it for a living. Plus I had every shop and material concievable at my command where I worked. Took 3 months to originally build. I am still modifying it to fit current and future needs. I absolutely love it. It's the best thing I ever did for my studio. It was and is a lot of work to get it the way I want.

Anyway, then the tape deck soffit fixture. Its pretty cool too! Holds 4 RR. And more. You'll see.
Then the equipment/racks. Then then.....RECORDING!! Finally. :rolleyes:
fitZ

Man, I wish I owned my own house so that I could tackle a project like you are going through, Rick.

I am renting a 4 bedroom townhouse and can only dream about double floating walls and an isso room so good that I could fire a canon and not disturb my neighbours.

At least I can use two of the 4 bedrooms. One as the control room and the other as the talent room. They are separated by a good distance so that when the doors are closed, I can monitor the studio room in the control room at a healthy level on the JBL's and get a pretty good pre-eq and comp setting as it goes to tape.

I still have to be mindful of the neighbours as the last thing I want is to piss them off and get evicted.

So far, I have only had one complaint. And that was when I was tracking too late at night.

I can always dream of better days though......................

I would love to see some snaps of your work in progress, Rick. Have you posted them elsewhere or do we have something else for you to do now?

Rick sounds like its going to be a cool place when your done.
Cant wait to see the pics.

Im not really new to analog, I did some back in the late 70,s early 80,s with a 3340 and then a 22-4 with dbx. Bought the 22-4 when they first cam out. And then kinda got out of the whole thing.
Then after 15 years decided to get back into it. I did the dual adat and Mackie 24/8 mixer thing for about 3 years and never was able to record anything that I could stand listening to.
Then I sold them and got a E 16 fostex and used it on 4 songs
of my step sons band. Then I decided to try the computer thing with a gadget labs 824 card. Same as the adats hated it for its sound, Loved how flexable it is but still that sound just ate at me all the time.
So now im just kinda starting to collect some tascam gear to play with.

I dont know if I will ever get the chance to do any more bands with my gear since Im getting old and my hearing is pretty much gone, about 30 percent left.

But Im having fun with it, I just need to practice guitar more! and keyboard and Bass.

Back