Im bored to death!

I think it's great that you're gone full circle and gravitated back to analog Herm. Sorry to learn of your hearing, but maybe you can do some father and son mixes.

:)

Hello Herm, I know what you mean. Same here as far as the hearing goes. Yea, I'm an old fart too guys. Actually, I'm building this now for the mere pleasure of it. The actual perceptual aspect will be left to my 2 sons. They will be the ones whose sonic opinion and decisions will matter. My contribution will be in what ever form old farts can do. Like be the engineers assistant. :p
Crap, if left to me, you probably would hear everything you shouldn't and nothing of what you should:D But I still like to be involved. Now, guitar playing, thats another ballgame. Ha! I love it, even though my hearing sucks, I can still hear music good enough to play. Just can't track anyone with sonic authority anymore.

Hey GFM, yea, ah, I think you'll find some old stuff from the bedroom studio. And actually, I will temporarily be setting up the equip in another bedroom till the studio is built. I just tried to post a file of the console drawings, but it was too big. I'll crop em and post later. Just a sample of what I'll be working towards. The console is already built. Havn't had a chance to really plan anything here yet. All in due time. Soon as the "honey do this" shit is done:D Actually, I don't understand it. I posted this file last year in the Building forum, but now the server says it's too big. :confused:

I'll figure it out. This computer is not my CAD computer so I don't have access to the files and photos of the previous setup right now. Soon though.
fitZ:)

My hearing's perfect,...

which doesn't necessarily prevent my mixes from sucking!

I think one can hear better the suckiness of one's own mixes, the further that time goes by. But my hearing's perfect, FWIW!
;)

Well, make room on that big table you got there, Herm, cause the M312 is just a tad bigger then the mixer I say in your last picture over at TASCAM.

Thinking about that more, where are you going to put the 388 you got? That's a big puppy too.

I guess you will be building some more work surfaces soon?

Cheers! :)

I don't recall seeing TBeck on this thread!

Oh well, hi TBeck!

WELL, HEY, I'm not BORED anymore! I just scored that M520, less wood side panels! $650, Buy-It-Now, baby! I hope it arrives in good condition! I'm pretty stoked,... can you tell? Ha.

AND, THAT requires a BIG ORGANIZATION and REWORKING of the STUDIO/OFFICE/MUSIC ROOM. I've been really busy, and things are coming along fine. I [almost] have more gear than I know what to do with, but the punch line is, that I do know what to do with it, and I'm just trying to make the time to do it!

I just have so much STUFF! Did I tell'ya, that I have a HUGE Tascam collection, and an APPRECIABLE Fostex collection, a 'music room/studio/office', from where I'm typing this memo, AND I have an 'engineering/fixit lab' in the back!

PLUS, I have a HUGE collection of BIKES and EXCERCISE MACHINES. My KIDS have EVERY toy under the sun, which in indiviual pieces must number in the THOUSANDS. MANY BOXES of semi-unsorted personal papers, and some BIG BOXES of classic MAGAZINES.

Oh well, the studio's coming along, with reorganization being very much overdue. Kinda like FITZ, and all that stuff he's going through. FITZ just had to have a change, and so do I. I'm not BORED, though! [Original topic].

Remember, jfyi, you all remember I've mentioned I have the MSR-24, and I just decided to pop for a fully professional board to support it! I'm so damn impulsive with gear, but I can see a good deal from a mile!

Anyway, all I can say right now, is "you snooze, you lose!"

I think I'll make it fit, of course I'll make it fit, and all my other gear and the fixit room will be reorganized too.

Reorg for me, at this point, is an ongoing thing.

Did I tell ya I have dreams of getting into the studio business someday? I'm not blowing money on gear, I'm investing in my future.

ANYWAY, I was thinking of doing a FULL SHOWCASE of my gear, on a TASCAM thread and a FOSTEX thread, alike. THAT's TBA, since that's a LOT of gear-pics to snap! You know it!

Oh well, enough about me. Right now I have a bunch, a whole complex of media racks, storage boxes & stacks of stuff that has yet to be fully gone through.

AARRGGHH, I'm changing the furniture arrangement, [a bit so far], and for the time being the EQ CURVE and acoustical space is starting to SUCK! Oh, I'll re-EQ-tune the room after moving furniture! C'ya!

Oh, of course, when I'm done, I'll have pics, and then some!

;)

[OT] I miss Havin' Fun!

You guys go ahead and ask him about their awesome,... I mean AWESOME DYLAN TRIBUTE DISC!

He e'd me, and I told him to check us all out here, in the HRcom/Tascam forum. D'you think he got lost, or something?

Someone give him a shout. I will, AAMOF, later.;)

Or, I'll put his e- right here, and we'll all spam the hell out of him, with invites to the HRcom/Tascam forum. Ha!;)

Oh, tables, work tables. Heavy duty folding work tables made of metal, particle board

,... and formica top. [Hint: not the all-plasic construction-type of utility table,... you need the heavy duty, metal frame, wood top, type of folding work table. I have several, here at the house. I can't give you exact dimensions, but they're over 6' long & about 3' wide. [HINT2: You can get a 388 AND an M312 on the table, side by side]. [Ref: my previous pics, elsewhere on this website].;)

I scored a few heavy duty work tables, [party tables, etc] at COSTCO outlet stores, for about $50/ea for the large one, & possibly a downsized work table for less.;)

ARP,

I am glad to see you scored the M520! Man, that is one fine vintage board. I checked it out on the e-bay site but I didn't pay a lot of attention to it because the picture of it seemed canned and small.

Did you e-mail the guy to get some better pics of it? I'm sure you did. I am jealous already!:D

About havin' Fun, I got an e-mail from him too a couple of weeks back now at this point. He was fishing for any information on when TASCAM's bbs was going to come back up.

We have written to each other a couple of times. Both of us trying to pull the other over to the forums we are separately on now.

I think I scared him away from this one when I told him about the MP3 mix clinic and the brutal reviews that sometimes go on there. It's a weird little place with a 1001 cliques to be aware of and a lot of politics to wade through to get listened to by the mucky, mucks over there.

it sure would be nice to see you guys over there once in a while too! Oh well.

About you re-organizing your studio, "Moses", I wish you nothing but fun and success in doing that. I have seen the pictures and I personally wouldn't know where to start.

I think you should open a TASCAM museum, SERIOUSLY! Or at least a custom boutique shop with all that stuff. Just keep your best board, recorder of each format and display, rent or sell the rest. You could retire comfortability if you did it right.

Cheers! :)

It's not a softball, rah-rah, P5-centric crowd in the HRcom MP3 forum,...

like it was over in the Tascambbs P5 forum!

Anyway, I kid you not, the pieces that I recall Havin' doing, are really done in great spirit, and produced really well, darn good for a handheld unit. Havin's really talented with that thing. He can take full advantage of midi soundfonts, & all that stuff.;)

Well, I was expounding on another thread,...

that I want a business that incorporates:
-Recording studio
-Practice rooms
-Live-room, or video-shoot live venue, attached
-Gear boutique & rental
-Recording/practice rooms, fee based. [Hint: I could put either a 38/M30, 388 or 234 Rack-system in each room, not to mention the 4-track Portastudio, for the budget-minded].
-Gear storage
-2"-analog
-Video. I'm interested in full hifi music videos, in the back of my mind.
-and everything on down,... stuff I already own, instruments, gear & stuff.

Anyway, that's a little pipe-dream of mine.

I've accellerated the gear buying lately, and I still have to pace myself, too. I have another idea about gear & stuff, but I won't elaborate on it right now.

Also, did I tell'ya, that I'd love to open a coffee shop/book shop in my area. Someday, maybe. I'm going for a beer & a smoke. Cheers!

PS: FM, you're right. Your stuff does really well, in the mp3 community, and as for myself, I'm gearing up to do more production soon, I'm sure. I'll surely let everyone know when I've produced something new! Well, like, yeah! You can count on it.;)

Congrats on the 520 score Reel.
(I consider it my dream board right now.)

I'll say "Welcome Beck" too (even though I don't know who it is yet, but that's ok.)

I came across Derek from Tascam here somewhere and told him you guys were here too, so I'm surprised he hasn't posted in the Analog forum yet. (Or has he??)

Yeah, it looks like the mp3 clinic isn't for the meek here, but I guess there isn't much in music for the thin of skin...
(I can't wait to post one of my own terrible mp3's somewhere and let the wolves have at it.)

I didn't see Derek, either.

Well, AAMOF, I did do a rough scratch jam onto tape this morning, while cleaning and testing my buddy's Yamaha MT-120, which is a super nice design, second only to classic Tascam, but everything on the MT-120 is small & full featured, actually notebook sized, and some ingenious features. Records 4-direct, or up to 4 in two L/R stereo pairs. Normal/High speed and dbx. I think Yamaha got it right on this one, the MT-120. I may be able to fix it cheap and just keep it. He's moved onto the FD-8, too. Check out the Yamaha MT-120, someday.

Oh yeah, it was a hack version of "I Wanna Be Your Man". Ha.

Oh, god, and I'll admit here & now, that I've been scoring LOTS of new gear lately. Mics, an FD-8, an new bass, manual, a huge new mixer/TBD, a new BSR EQ-3000, because I needed more inputs. I got the most FASCINATING FOSTEX RECORDER I'VE EVER SEEN. It's called the MC-102, and I'll tell you about it later, or go look it up on Ebay for yourself!;)

Anyone who's still tuned into this thread so far, pls go check out the Fostex MC-102, in the completed-items search.;) I can't wait to get this thing!

Oh yeah, did I mention a Tascam 488-std, possible fixer? Yep, got that too.

I'm so bad, but sometimes that's good anyway. You only live once!

I have great ideas about gear, rolling around in my head.

RACKS! RACKS! I NEED RACKS!

Okay, next topic: Should I buy some racks, or just build them myself? Building them doesn't seem that hard, given you have the tools and place to work,... oh, an plans. Probably save lots of money making gear racks from wood and metal rails. Also, I've seen some inexpensive tube-raks, and also more expensive wooden racks. I've been to recording specialty shops in LA, and racks are not cheap. Guess most of you knew that! Anyway, any further opinions about racks? I need 'em, severely.;)

RP you glutton:D I shoulda known it was you. Congrats on the 520. I'm still holdin out for the 3700, but I've burnt the pocket out of two pair of pants.:p ebay bookmarks by the zillons.
I did a search for a 3700 and found one. Trouble is it's in New York, and he don't want to ship it.:rolleyes: And I'm not about to cross country to get it. Oh well....
Speaking of racks, I measured my steel rack today for the 4 decks. I'm getting all the info togeather to plan the studio. OH, by the way, got my 42....Awesome! Anyway, I've got a TON of some special aluminum extrusions from a company called Stylmark.
COOL shit. 1000 profiles, 500 colors. Brushed, gloss, satin....neat stuff. Gonna make a bunch of stuff from it. On the racks, a quadradic diffuser, absorber panel trim, console trim, etc. etc. Even the door jamb trims. I plan a high tech look. Found some bitchen linear fiber optic shit that glows linearly. AND some neon shit for lighting effects. I LOVE that shit. With ......hey, I'll try and post a pic as soon as my son get's me hooked in to his domain.....were gonna have a web page, er....he already has it, but were gonna incorp music somehow. He's a real computer nut.
Anyway, started getting my shop togeather today. Got the table saw 1/2 set up. Tomorrow, the jointer, and raidial/chop saw stuff. Then maybe by the weekend the planer and panel saw. I love shop stuff as much as studio stuff. Got a ton of cool materials to work with too. Stuff I've collected from where I worked as a CAD draftsman. Store fixture manufacturer. We built Macys interiors. Tons of veneers, hardware, chemetals, plex, extrusions, etc etc. Wait till you see the console. Well enough bla bla. Boredom is about to become extinct!
fitZ

Yeah, well you obviously have a whole wood shop setup, CAD and everything,...

so it looks like you're set. I'm not sure I'm there yet, and I might buy a couple 20-space racks, from Sam Ash, I think. I could get my racks, mount my stuff, and move on.

Geeze, you must have like over a thousand dollars of woodworking gear, right there, and I'd love building too, if I were you. I have plans, but I'd do a lot better with a whole shop.

Anyway, with new gear here & there, and all the reorganizing that's needed, it's morphing in to something better already. But, for me it's not a one-room project. This studio/gear room rearrangement goes hand in hand with a substantial amount of garage rearrangement, then the yard, & on down the line.

Anyway, I think I need to take my circular saw and remove a portion of my patio cover,... maybe tomorrow, or soon. Don't ask why.;)

Re: Well, I was expounding on another thread,...

A Reel Person said:
that I want a business that incorporates:
-Recording studio
-Practice rooms
-Live-room, or video-shoot live venue, attached
-Gear boutique & rental
-Recording/practice rooms, fee based. [Hint: I could put either a 38/M30, 388 or 234 Rack-system in each room, not to mention the 4-track Portastudio, for the budget-minded].
-Gear storage
-2"-analog
-Video. I'm interested in full hifi music videos, in the back of my mind.
-and everything on down,... stuff I already own, instruments, gear & stuff.

Anyway, that's a little pipe-dream of mine.

I've accellerated the gear buying lately, and I still have to pace myself, too. I have another idea about gear & stuff, but I won't elaborate on it right now.

What a beautiful dream! I just hope it is not yet another elaborate rationalization for buying MORE GEAR.

Back