If my Tascam portastudio doesn't have dbx noise reduction built-in?

mellotron

What options do I have? Can I get a separate dbx module and run it through my recording chain? Or would I be better off just getting a portastudio model that has it built-in? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I thought all the Tascam portastudios had dbx. Which models are you referring to that don't?
The only one I can think of is the MF-P01. It's a base line 4 track cassette with only 1 input, no eq, no dbx, fly wheels for track input volume and one master fader. I own one, but I don't use it anymore because I am too limited by it.

The only one I can think of is the MF-P01. It's a base line 4 track cassette with only 1 input, no eq, no dbx, fly wheels for track input volume and one master fader. I own one, but I don't use it anymore because I am too limited by it.

Not at all familiar with this unit. Does it have discreet outs for each tape channel? Without them you won't be able to decode your dbx (or other nr) encoded tracks.

Mellotron,

You would want to make sure that whatever noise reduction unit you purchased in dbx flavor would be the Type II variety, not Type I. Something like the dbx 224 or 140 models fit the bill.

But +1 for the question about what model Portastudio do you have??

I have the Ministudio Porta02 (mkII). I'm not sure if the absence of noise reduction is a bad thing? I think this is a newer model, released in 1998, so I don't know if the signal to noise ratio was improved by then? Or am I totally wrong with this?

Should've mentioned this earlier. Hope this makes it more clear =)

Last edited:

You might consider upgrading to a 414mkII or 424mkIII. Adding external NR to a Porta 02mkII doesn't seem practical. The 02mkII was a scratchpad recorder with single speed and no NR. The 424mkIII would sound noticeably better.:eek:;)

Good call, Dave. He'd know. ;):D

Th 414 mkII is a really cool unit too, and you can find those on eBay CHEAP. Really feature-packed relative to the Porta 02, and similar footprint.

More practical and maybe even a cheaper optioin if you sell the Porta 02 than picking up external n/r.

Yeah, ditto that.

414mkII's go cheap a lot. It's a pretty consistent sleeper deal & a good midline recorder. 424mkIII's best in that line and is also worth the bump in cost. 424mkIII's can be a sleeper deal too, maybe about half the time. YMMV:eek:;)

Not at all familiar with this unit. Does it have discreet outs for each tape channel? Without them you won't be able to decode your dbx (or other nr) encoded tracks.
No it doesn't. It's basically only an idea platform. You only get the four tracks, no bouncing, no stereo tracks.

I have the Ministudio Porta02 (mkII). I'm not sure if the absence of noise reduction is a bad thing? I think this is a newer model, released in 1998, so I don't know if the signal to noise ratio was improved by then? Or am I totally wrong with this?

I couldn't find that one anywhere...

Good call, Dave. He'd know. ;):D

Th 414 mkII is a really cool unit too, and you can find those on eBay CHEAP. Really feature-packed relative to the Porta 02, and similar footprint.

More practical and maybe even a cheaper optioin if you sell the Porta 02 than picking up external n/r.
ebay is the only place left that you can still find them (unless you get lucky at a garage sale or something). Tascam is all digital now, with the exception of the MF-P01. I went on the website after I saw this post, and no 414mkii or mkiii, or any of the old cassette portastudios to be found there.

Last edited:
424 (mkII and mkIII) units should be fairly plentiful on ebay. 414 units are nice (except it lacks the speed option of the 424) and have dbx included. Someone mentioned it has a similar footprint to what you already have, which might be a plus for you.

I thought about getting the MF-P01 for just kicking around ideas, but not having dbx soured the idea. That and I've been spoiled by the 424. Check out the threads in this forum where someone (sorry! Forgot who at the moment.) posted up a handful of tunes recorded on the 424. There is something to be said for a higher end cassette multi-track. Give it some thought and let us know what you think.;)

424 (mkII and mkIII) units should be fairly plentiful on ebay. 414 units are nice (except it lacks the speed option of the 424) and have dbx included. Someone mentioned it has a similar footprint to what you already have, which might be a plus for you.

I thought about getting the MF-P01 for just kicking around ideas, but not having dbx soured the idea. That and I've been spoiled by the 424. Check out the threads in this forum where someone (sorry! Forgot who at the moment.) posted up a handful of tunes recorded on the 424. There is something to be said for a higher end cassette multi-track. Give it some thought and let us know what you think.;)
I bought the MF-P01 because of the price. And it was the only one available where I was at the time (Sasebo, Japan). They had the 414 and 424, but they were almost 3 times the price I could have gotten it in the states. I didn't trust the internet or the overseas shipping to arrive, so I went for the P01. It was nice for getting my feet wet, but I outgrew it fast. I went straight to digital after that, and while I am happy with it, I can't capture the same tone of any of my instruments or vocals on a digital machine. I don't care what anyone says, analog sounds so much sweeter.

jjones1700 said:
It has 2-band fixed EQ, too, which is a middle of the road feature. Beats having none, but less than the 3-band EQ on the 424mkIII.:eek:;)

No discreet track outs. Outboard NR of any kind will be a waste of time/money because you can't decode each track separately.

Check out the threads in this forum where someone (sorry! Forgot who at the moment.) posted up a handful of tunes recorded on the 424.

His name is ksounds.

Search for threads started by him. +1 for the vote of confidence on his work on the 424...reminiscent sonically of stuff I've heard Dave (A Reel Person) do on his 244/246 units, and he has a lot more horsepower at his disposal, but search for threads he has started as well. Ksounds and A Reel Person will likely redefine or at least broaden your opinion about what you can do on a Tascam cassette 4-track. ;)

Last edited:
Back