I wonder about hardware EQs

EquipeGrey

I'm building a home studio and I'm trying to figure out what to get. I'm not making living making music at this point of my life but I do enjoy composing and want to spend more time doing it. So setting up a working space and spend less time ITB would be a good idea. So I wonder about hardware EQs, would it be a good decisions to go for one? Or invest elsewhere. I'm talking about high end tube bus equalisers to shape the mix and maybe add some colour.

It's going to come down to $$$, how deep do you want to go... because tube EQs or quality bus EQs are not cheap...and it also depends on what gear you already have, because if your other gear isn't on the same quality level, then EQ isn't the most important thing...think mics, monitors, preamps, room treatment...etc.

So...where are you at, and why the focus on the EQ?
Also...are you looking to work entirely analog...or do you plan to still do some of it ITB?

I would think, in terms of notable impact on the sound, the order of importance would be:

1 microphone
2 mike preamp
3 tape recorder
4 mixer
5 reverb
6 compressor
7 other outboard/EQ etc

I'm talking about high end tube bus equalisers to shape the mix and maybe add some colour.

That's nice, but not as useful as having one great preamp and one great EQ for recording on the way in. An Eq for the bus tends to be a more broad strokes situation and commits you to mixing with coming out of the box and another set of D/A and A/D conversions. Nothing wrong with bus EQ, but the former is more useful first!

I built Pultec based EQ with some modifications (Peak/Shelving mode, and mid option). You could check it:

GarageInstruments(R) - Boutique amplification

g1.jpg

Its fascinating how it sounds and how famous "low end trick" works. In user manual was prohibited to turn BOOST and CUT at the same time but you know... people :) Its a big EQ but I really love it for bass and vocals.

I think for me now - I could not sacrifice the ability to automate things, and use this all the time now. I like doing everything in the box.

Back