Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I scored a second Tascam 34b

Thanks

Talking I scored a second Tascam 34b

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey folks,

I picked up another 34b in San Francisco last night for $120, WITH a really-effing-sturdy road case! I bought the tape deck as a parts machine. The heads are in FANTASTIC shape. I'll post pictures of the machine later. Right now, it's sitting in my friend's car.

Now, here's something I've been thinking about: If I can fully clean-up this machine and get it in perfect working order, then what can I do with two 34b's? I already have a mixdown deck, so that's taken care of.

One thought is to use the second machine for on-site live recording. That's all I can think of.

Is there anything really clever or interesting that I could do with two 34b's???

Thanks
    Congratulations, save it for future use, never wrong having a second deck as backup

Thanks

Thumbs up $120 is a steal and local too!!

Other than a parts machine, how about a deck dedicated to tape echo? What about making a 4 track master copy onto your 2nd 34B? That could come in handy when you're sending a tape out to someone to overdub an instrument ('cause you don't have one near by). That way, should the tape get lost or damaged, you have a 4 track master safely stored. Those are the few things you could do with a 2nd 34B, off the top of my head.

Thanks
    Yeah, what VT said. If one goes down you still have it for parts. Or seeing as you have the road case, what you said, take it with ya.
    "He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people, and eat out their substance."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cjacek View Post
    Other than a parts machine, how about a deck dedicated to tape echo?
    Hmm, good point. I already have a deck dedicated to tape echo, but this is much better. Between my Akai deck and this second 34b, I could do tape echo at 3 3/4ips, 7.5ips, AND 15ips

I haven't tried doing tape echo on a 34b, though. Pardon me for being ignorant about my own equipment, but would echo be done while the deck is in "Input" mode? For some reason I thought that the signal coming back from the deck in Input mode is the source monitor, not a tape monitor, making it impossible to create an echo.

Can some please enlighten me on this? Thanks!

Thanks
    I used to use two 4 track RTR's to ping pong record with less generation loss.

Fill up the first one with 4 track, mix that in stereo to the second one and then add two more track on the second deck, send that back mixed to the first deck and add a couple more tracks. You end up with an 8 track recording with two bounces and everything remains in stereo.

Most 4 buss mixers has doubled output jacks for the busses so the hook up is easy and the results are good! Much better then cassette anyway! Plus, if you don't like the sub mix, you can go back and redo it because you have the safety backup on the other reel of tape.

Cheers!

Thanks
    You would do it in "repro".

BTW, in addition to the 3 speeds, don't forget the pitch control knob, which can dial in even more precisely.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost of FM View Post
    I used to use two 4 track RTR's to ping pong record with less generation loss.

Fill up the first one with 4 track, mix that in stereo to the second one and then add two more track on the second deck, send that back mixed to the first deck and add a couple more tracks. You end up with an 8 track recording with two bounces and everything remains in stereo.
    Thanks!! I was trying to figure out how I could use the second deck to do better bouncing/ping-ponging. Your method makes so much sense, and I'm really excited about reducing the generation loss.

Incredible!

Thanks
    Ah, yes, good point from Ghost. Much better than bouncing internally.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cjacek View Post
    You would do it in "repro".

BTW, in addition to the 3 speeds, don't forget the pitch control knob, which can dial in even more precisely.
    I don't think I follow. The way I understand tape echo is that you combine the original signal with the signal coming back from the tape deck, and this is done on the mixer. How would this be done in Repro, since no signal is being recorded to tape?

Thread Information