I need some constructive criticism

bachelorb

Cowboy Chord Virtuoso
I posted this in the recording thread. It was a song I wrote last year.........

I was just trying out a machine I got working, but I thought I'd throw it at you and see what you thought.

I just finished fixing up a Tascam 244 and wanted to make sure all the channels worked. its mixed down through the computer sound card with Audacity.

Since I'm all new to this recording thing, I can use all the help I can get!! I'm really interested in how to find space for the different instruments and voices....... I tried to do it here.

If it were me, I'd roll the bass off quite a bit on the vocals. There's something a bit intimate and somehow creepy about it being that bassy, especially at the start. I can also hear a bit of popping on the microphone. I don't know what you're using for that, but a good trick I picked up somewhere is to talk across the mic instead of directly into it. (Rolling the bass off on the vocals will make it less obvious as well)
I'm not sure about the panning with the guitar full on the right either, but with a 4-track machine I guess things are a bit limited. I'd try either panning both the vocals and the guitar centre and seeing what that sounds like, or maybe offsetting them just a little, e.g. vocals slightly left of centre, guitar slightly to the right.

Apart from that, it's nice, and a lot better than my own first attempts.

Thanks JP.... When you talk about rolling off the bass, you are meaning cutting the base using the EQ right?

This 244 is set up a little different from the 424 Portastudio I have, the Equalizer on the 244 has both a gain and a frequency where the 424 (which got me into this wonderful mess) only has a frequency adjustment. soooooo..... when I roll off the base, would I adjust the gain (I'm using the 244) to try to keep the same output level for the channel?

Thanks again,

Brad

ps..... I thought about posting this originally in the beginners forum, but looking at other posts in there, they have a lot of magic buttons and screens that I don't. So I posted it here. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place

Ah. I've not seen one like that. Usually you have 2-4 EQ knobs, allowing you to control the bass and treble independently. Often the mid range has a frequency/gain pair, but usually the low and high end have a single knob each.
I'd try turning it to the low frequency, e.g. around 100Hz, and turning the gain down to see what happens. Hopefully that will reduce the bass on that channel without affecting anything else.

Back