I just picked these up...PB-64 x2

sweetbeats

Reel deep thoughts...
$55 shipped. They'll need some cleaning up (lots of labels), but I am gonna need something to bring the I/O panel 'round front on the M-520 because it will be pretty much inaccessible once I scoot it into position...plus I've got an acute case of patchbay envy after seeing post #15 in this thread... :D

Attachments

• 2921_1.jpg
    2921_1.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 351f_1.jpg
    351f_1.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 43
:eek:
we're living parallel lives cory!
i just ordered 2 of the very same units last week. fedex says they left Syracuse for Montreal in the wee hours of this morning.
I also bought a box of 100 neutrik NYS352 rca plugs (you can save BIG buying these in bulk). my fingertips are slightly burnt from all the cable-making i've been doing.

Pete...yeah...I have made so many 8 and 16 channel TRS snakes and insert snakes over the past year...I'm not sure I've got it in me to make them up in RCA flavor...:( Plus I find RCA's the most difficult to work on.

What are you using for cable?

Anybody know if these are any good?

The neutrik cables i use are very easy to solder. i tried some of their high end made-in-Liechtenstein ones but they were a bit tougher to solder; uncomfortably tight to plug into the m520; not to mention mega pricey.
I only had to pay something like 52cents each for the NYS352.
For the cable i ended up using a Canadian-made type called Clarity by Delco. The store i bought from was out of Canare.

Yeah okay...I made some custom insert snakes (both send and receive off of one balanced 3-conductor run...more tidy and cuts cost) for my PE-40's using the NYS352 connectors...I do like those connectors...really nice for the price.

I can get the 352's from Redco Audio for 0.68US...ugh...do I really want to do that...?

The cable that you are using though, is it 2 or 3-conductor cable? I'd need to make a mess of snakes ideally and I can't see spending $$$ for balanced multi-channel cable if I only need two-conductor y'know?

Got mine locally

I picked 2 of them a few onths ago at the local "surplus gizmos" store. $10 each :)

Be careful what solvent you use to remove the tape with (try windex to start with) as that the paint can be removed....

--Ethan

Ethan...what surplus gizmos store was THAT?!?!?!

I must patronize!

I've been successful using iso alcohol to get label goo off of most stuff, but like the carpet cleaner says, "test in an obscure location first for color fastness".

I've been using foil shielded three connector cable. The price is pretty reasonable if you buy enough of it. They didn't have any 2 connector cable. I had to make quite a few balanced cables (like from my demeter reverb>fostex 5030) so i figured (correctly?) that it wouldn't make a difference. I usually fuse the 2 connectors together (i was told that since they're not a twisted pair it wouldn't likely cause capacitance problems). For what it's worth i've got quite a few of them in action and everything seem to be working well.

I did make a couple unbalanced snakes with 3-conductor...it just seemed like a waste but I can't find 2-conductor...I've made probably a dozen or more 8 and 16 channel balanced snakes and I've got a bunch of the cable laying around...so that's it I guess...what I did before was soldered the drain and black insulated conductor to shield and the red insulated conductor to the pin (+)...is that what you're saying (i.e. is that the standard procedure for utilizing 3-conductor cable in a 2-conductor application)?

:o i kinda did the opposite. i attached the drain to ground and fused the red and white connectors to +. this setup hasn't given me any sass..yet. anyone know if this is problematic? the cable runs are generally pretty short. maybe the longest ones are 4 or 5 feet.

Honestly I have built a real snake in erm.... 20+ years, and can't really remember what cable we used. Seems like we used the shielded multi-wire phone cabling - like 24 wire plus the hard copper shield? That stuff is likely ridiculously priced these days though......

AK

Honestly I have built a real snake in erm.... 20+ years, and can't really remember what cable we used. Seems like we used the shielded multi-wire phone cabling - like 24 wire plus the hard copper shield? That stuff is likely ridiculously priced these days though......

Hm...I think I fused drain and cold based on hookup diagrams in some gear, and based on testing an XLR to TS adapter...I think cold and ground on the XLR plug went to shield on the TS plug...but if I'm correct it would only matter in that sort of situation where you were adapting a 3-conductor connector to unbalanced...if it is unbalanced to unbalanced I guess it really wouldn't matter...and I guess you have proven that haven't you? :D ;)

Back