I got my Teac 3340 today

AllenM

Hey there! Today around 12:30 I received my TEAC 3340. I plugged it in and everything works. Everything. My friend came over and we were testing it a bit more. I enabled track 1 to record, when it was done I tried to play it. Rewind > play. Didnt hear anything. We were recording on some unknown brand of 1/4 inch tape on a 7 1/2 inch reel. So I let the machine continue playing. Then all of a sudden the reels started to slow down and make noise. I posted a video below where you can see. So I was pretty bummed out. I noticed it was playing with the HIGH SPEED setting, switched it to LOW SPEED and it worked 100% with Playback and record. I tested all 4 tracks and recorded on only two. Im guessing it works correctly EXCEPT for the HIGH SPEED setting. Now I have a couple questions.

1. What is the purpose for HIGH SPEED setting and why didnt it rec/playback
on my machine? Is that bad? Was it the tape I was using? ( Unknown brand 7 1/2 in reel 1/4 tape) or what else? WATCH THE VIDEO TO SEE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT.

2. I found tape residue on some of the arms. Is this bad? Was I using bad tape? (probably..haha)

3. How can I keep my machine in good working condition? What to clean it with Etc

4. Where are some good websites to purchase recording tape?
Also what brand of recording tape should I use that will work well with my machine TEAC 3340.

5. I want to buy a TEAC model 5 mixer. Is it possible to use 3+ mics recording on 1 track? Also how would I get my recorded music transferred to
my laptop? What kind of cables would I need?

6. Are my heads good?

t6tpu8.jpg

Heres the video

[video=youtube;<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/HX3sCBfzGFU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/HX3sCBfzGFU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>]video[/video]

Thanks, your help is very much appreciated!

The tape is no good. I can see all the gunk. Particularly on the erase head and the tape guide. You need to scrub that all completely off with a qtip and some isopropyl alcohol and throw away that tape.

It's probably worse on the high speed because it's causing more friction with all the sticky shed. You'll get a better quality recording using the high speed 15ips, so that's what you want to use. Other than the goo I think the heads look pretty good.

Glad you got it alright. :)

When I click high speed It lets me record but when I try and playback I dont hear anything. And its only when I click HIGH SPEED. When I record on Low speed I can hear everything I recorded.

I would start by cleaning all that stuff off first. I'll almost guarantee that's your problem. And don't bother with that tape it's just going to keep messing it up. You have to clean it off all the heads and tape guides.

If you do a search here you'll see where people have been getting tape. I haven't bought any in a while so I'm not sure where the best place is. I wouldn't buy used though. Buy new stock. Quantegy 457 or 456. But Quantegy is hard to find new now so I think the RMGI equivalent is RMGI 911 tape for 456. You're technically supposed to use 457 on those decks but I use 456. I'm not sure what the equivalent is for 457. ......just looked it up: Beck says RMGI LPR35

Last edited:
Yeah, you might want to try the 911. Or try the LPR35. I think a lot of guys here use USrecording to buy tape.

Just so you know too, Quantegy made some bad tape years back so you don't want to buy anything too old. The one on ebay is probably fine because he said it was just a couple years old and it has the Quantegy label on the bottom of the box rather than across the middle.

Alright thanks man. I just finished taking off all that gunk from the machine!
I still dont understand why I couldnt hear my recording when I had high speed enabled. I dont think its because of the residue..

Btw, the shipping box looked like somebody dropped something on top of it!

That's because they did. :D

Once you get the new tape try it out and drop a line here. If it's gunking up the erase head it may look like it's recording the input to the tape but probably isn't. If you're playing it back and you have signal on the meters but can't hear it that could be different. Though I don't see how that could be if you can hear it in slow speed.

Alright thanks man. I just finished taking off all that gunk from the machine!
I still dont understand why I couldnt hear my recording when I had high speed enabled. I dont think its because of the residue..
Well, the only thing that changes when you go to high speed is the speed. There are no relays or anything that is also changed that could go bad and make it not playback at high speed.
So it's got to be something physical that's doing it ...... there are no electronic changes when you change the speed unless it runs thru a different EQ boards to correct for the speed change/EQ curve but I don't think that unit does.

I was wondering if there might be a muting circuit that freezes the amp functions until things are up to speed and possibly the sticky tape was preventing it to stabilize at 15ips...just pulling a thought out of the air.

At any rate +100 to everything above. Junk the tape, and wait to pass any judgements until you try some fresh tape.

I've been very happy with US Recording Media. Splicit is another well reputed distributor. Full Compass is another place to buy. They aren't focused on tape but they are a very reputable retailer as well.

Stop what your doing! I bout crapped when I saw your video.
First thing I noticed was the wine your hearing is your belt burning up.
The tape is so bad it is stopping your motors. I have seen this before.

Also what I think i saw was when you hit play in that video I dont see your pinch roller ingaged and the tape lifter ;probably didnt go up at all to let the tape make contact on the heads like they should.

To check this out leave the tape off of the machine and lift the right tape guide. Then hit play and see if your pinch roller goes up to the capstan shaft.
That will tell alot right there. Its common for these old machines to get gunked up at that area and they need a good cleaning inside and lubed to work correctly.
Try that and let us know what happens

I've been meaning to give a full 2p to your OP...

1. I think this has been addressed yes?

2. That has definitely been addressed.

3. Easiest cleanr to get is 91% isopropyl alcohol for the metal parts in the tape path, and a number of us prefer 100% cotton makeup remover pads in conunction with the iso alcohol. It helps to get in the nooks and crannies of the guides and such better than cotton swabs. Use water, a dilute solution of water and window cleaner or a dilute solution of mild soap and water for the pinch roller along with a lint-free cloth. If the pinch roller is hardened, cracked or glazed you can buy time with an off the shelf rubber conditioner, but the roller's days are numbered and you really need to look at having it re-rubbered or sourcing a new part. Wouldn't hurt to contact Teac in California if you are thinking of getting a spare roller: (323) 727-4840. You need a good demagnetizer. The Han-D-Mag from Annis is the bees knees. Teac E-3 is a good unit on the used market. Nothing wrong with sourcing a used Han-D-Mag either...no moving parts. They last.

4. You've gotten answers to this...US Recording Media, Tape Superstore, Splicit, Full Compass...The 3340 was (I believe) setup to use 1.5mil +3 tape but it does just fine with +6 tape too. Look for Quantegy branded 406 for the former, 456 for the latter or RMGI SM911 can be had new and is a "drop-in" replacement for 456.

5. You've got this covered in your other thread, yes (as far as recording multiple sources onto one track)? What kind of laptop? Does it have a stereo line input (on an 1/8" TRS jack) or do you have an audio interface?

6. I concur with others. The heads look good.

4. You've gotten answers to this...US Recording Media, Tape Superstore, Splicit, Full Compass...The 3340 was (I believe) setup to use 1.5mil +3 tape but it does just fine with +6 tape too. Look for Quantegy branded 406 for the former, 456 for the latter or RMGI SM911 can be had new and is a "drop-in" replacement for 456.

Cory, what is 457 then? So it was 406 that was originally used on these decks? And it's +3? I can never seem to get this straight.

It's kind of curious that the MRL they sent for my 2340sx was printed on SM911. It seems thin though compared to 456.

Maxell UR90 is also a drop in for 407 too, right?

400 series tapes were +3, 450 series tapes were +6. A 6 in the last digit means 1.5mil, a 7 in the last digit means 1mil.

Steve, I may be wrongwrongwrong on what was originally spec'ed so disregard what I said...the manual should say what the proper tape is...I am concerned I am getting confused with another deck...

I've been meaning to give a full 2p to your OP...

1. I think this has been addressed yes?

2. That has definitely been addressed.

3. Easiest cleanr to get is 91% isopropyl alcohol for the metal parts in the tape path, and a number of us prefer 100% cotton makeup remover pads in conunction with the iso alcohol. It helps to get in the nooks and crannies of the guides and such better than cotton swabs. Use water, a dilute solution of water and window cleaner or a dilute solution of mild soap and water for the pinch roller along with a lint-free cloth. If the pinch roller is hardened, cracked or glazed you can buy time with an off the shelf rubber conditioner, but the roller's days are numbered and you really need to look at having it re-rubbered or sourcing a new part. Wouldn't hurt to contact Teac in California if you are thinking of getting a spare roller: (323) 727-4840. You need a good demagnetizer. The Han-D-Mag from Annis is the bees knees. Teac E-3 is a good unit on the used market. Nothing wrong with sourcing a used Han-D-Mag either...no moving parts. They last.

5. You've got this covered in your other thread, yes (as far as recording multiple sources onto one track)? What kind of laptop? Does it have a stereo line input (on an 1/8" TRS jack) or do you have an audio interface?

6. I concur with others. The heads look good.

Thanks.

3. The pinch roller on my machine looks like its in good condition. I used 75% isopropyl to clean all the parts that have tape running on them, the heads as well. I dont fully understand what a demagnetizer does to the heads and how ofter I should do that Etc. I know I need one though.

4. I ordered 2 tapes of RMGI SM911 from U.S Recording.

5. My laptop has 1/8 headphone/mic jack

Back