I couldn't resist today.

A Reel Person

It's Too Funky in Here!!!
Bought another used 424mkIII on-the-cheap, less power supply. Turns out I bought a couple spare 424mkIII power supplies a few years ago. Thought it'd make a nice pair with the 424 that'd lost it's supply!:eek:;)

Sold untested and as-is, but these recorders have a good track record with me as used items. Still a newish design and they sound good too. Hope it works! I'm confident it will. Cheers!

Attachments

• 1-Tascam 424mkIIIa.jpg
    1-Tascam 424mkIIIa.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 113
You fell off the wagon again, didn't you?:D:p;)

Nice score Dave! Was it local or ? How much $ ?

Yeah, off the wagon, heh heh.

Thought it would go well with the 200 cassettes I had delivered today. Anyway, it's a high enough quality item that I think you can't have too any of 'em lying around. Gotta give the kids the best someday when they're old enough to appreciate it! Lots of fun for me, too!:ek:;)

$89 & change, delivered. Not bad.

Don't worry, I'm not going on a buying binge!:eek::eek:;)

That's JUST what you need.:D How many dozen of them things do you have now?:p

On a side note, I went to one of the local Walgreens stores and inquired into the sudden disappearance of our beloved XL-II cassettes. The only thing he could offer was that maybe they were discontinued. What did give me a little chuckle was how he said perhaps they are making room for more CD/DVDs etc. by taking away the VHS and cassettes that we know and love. Sad but true. Guess I'll have to start ordering them online. Where are you getting them from Dave? I've only got about 20 or so of them stashed here. I don't think the 424mkII would take too kindly to Type I cassettes.:eek:

Dunno about the XL-II's, but I've been getting TDK-SM60's in a 10-tape brick from Musician's Friend for about $25...

BTW, Dave, I was thinking you were a little light on the mkIII's last time I saw a pic of your arsenal...:rolleyes::D

The verdict?

This $90 used item came less power supply, untested & as is.:eek:;)

The wrapping and boxing was fine and fully adequate. Bubble wrap & plastic peanuts. The 424mkIII's pretty light & the box showed no signs of rough handling. It came quickly, too

1st power-up with my other 424mkIII's power supply & the mechanism was clicking and trying to reset. TASCAM kept scrolling on the display & the entire thing wouldn't reset or initialize completely. The capstan was turning, but the hubs were not engaged, either left or right.

Had to open it up, separating the mixer from the base section, & remove the tape mechanism to look at the underside. Both belts were intact and properly placed. The entire motor & pulley system rotated freely. I found the middle section of drive gears which toggles between the left and right hubs was a little bit jammed in the center. That assembly is on a clutch, so I moved it back and forth a bit & it seemed to isolate and register in the right position.

Put it together and it did the same thing. Click-click-click/TASCAMTASCAMTASCAM. Opened it up again. Flipped the tape mechanism over again and worked the clutch assembly. With it disassembled and the tape mech up on edge, I did the power-test and it reset completely. Put it back together and it worked nicely. Had a few false starts where it wouldn't load the heads on play, but playing with it a bit more got it loosened up.

Tested the mixer functions all working normally. Record and Play functions all normal. Had an extra 424mkIII power supply on hand from previously, & I got this fully functioning unit less-supply, albiet after a few false starts and some fiddling around with it. It's in pretty good condition, with only a few minor surface scratches, and now it works great. I was a little worried at first. What did I say before about engaging in some of these little fixit jobs by necessity? Here's a perfect example of that where it worked out great with minimal effort!

I scored! The 424mkIII's a good sounding & well funcitoning unit that I'm happy to own and use. Something like this will last me a long time. 4-tracking is still fun!:eek:;)

Maybe I'll try to whip up a new song or two.:eek:;)

Attachments

• Im003097a.jpg
    Im003097a.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Kind of makes me wonder...did the power supply "disappear" after the transport went wacky? Now I guess I know how to sell faulty equipment... :eek::rolleyes:

BTW, Dave, nice job...I know who I'll be hoping to dialogue with when my 234 arrives and I get around to getting it going! :D

New update!

I did a tracking session with the "new" (used) 424mkIII. It came out alright. Nothing stellar, given I've not done or produced anything since last August.:eek:;)

The Line-Outs seemed to not give a signal or connection until I wiggled the RCA connector pair just right. It seems I'll need to crack the covers and touch up the solder joints on that connector.

The head-load function for Play/Record functions still seems a bit intermittent. It seems after a long rewind, the mech will not fully "reset" the mechanical part, probably related to that sticky clutch on the innards/underside of the cassette mech. Toggling the RW/FF buttons a couple times always gets it to "reset" properly, then it will engage and drive normally. This is a bit annoying, but not a show stopper. I wonder if it's an issue that could be addressed by placing a small drop of tech grade lube oil on the clutch, while keeping it well away from the belts, heads or tape? I've never had to lube the gears in a cassette, tho' it looks like I'll try that some time soon. Does that seem like a good idea to any other technically inclined person on this board?

*Thinking about it more, I'm not sure if any part of that gear is well away from the belt enough to be putting lube. Should a small plastic clutch just toggle normally, or do they have a tiny dab of lithium grease in there? I'll have to look in there very closely. I'm looking for a fix that's not a serious teardown of the cassette mech. In the meantime, I'll continue to use it and hope that it loosens up. This malfunction makes it nearly impossible for loop/repeat play. More on that, TBD.* Anyway, it's an annoyance & not a show stopper. A 3rd thing just occurred to me, maybe it's the belt slipping and not the clutch sticking? I think belt replacement is worthy of trying before spot lubing the clutch. Blech. Another teardown! I'll just fiddle with the buttons until this repair officially kicks off.

I've hacked recording of last night, tho' I'm not sure if it's too rough to post. I may retrack the guitar or slap drums on first. I did some experimenting trying to "master" directly to my DP02cf. Originally, I wanted to record directly to the Master track, but it seemed I had to record to the "multi" track section first. Once doing that, I ran several times "out of disk space" (card space) while mastering, so I had to "delete" the entire song a few times over to get it right. The card already had 3 fully produced demos and master tracks on it, but I managed to get one more.

I was stumped last night, but am thinking today,... I think the trick to mastering to the DP02cf (master-track) directly would be to "Set-In" and "Set-Out" points that are the length of the song in question, or a bit longer, even though these are just time markers and there's no data in the tracks. then just record directly thru the Input-A/B of the DP02cf in Mastering mode. I think this technique should work, so it'll be the first thing I'll try next time. Maybe soon.

The DP02cf issues are a bit of an aside, but I've noticed I can make a more dynamic "master" track on the DP02cf that's better than recording thru my crappy onboard soundcard. The DP02cf used as mixdown machine here was purely an experimental effort last night.:eek:;)

Looks like the usd 424mkIII is less than perfect, but it is viable enough to call a success, given that I have a few touch-up maintenance concerns to address at some future time/TBD, maybe soon.:eek:;)

It was good just to get stuff out and record! Gonna work on my stuff and stay on a roll!

Thanx!

Last edited:
If you do end up lubing something I support where you are going with using grease rather than oil. Oil=drippy...grease=sticky. :p

Nice to see you tinkering! :D

Oh and recording too. :)

Okay, cassette experts!

This question is nearly impossible to ask without a picture.

In the 424mkIII cassette mech there's a part where the head carriage has a kind of a rail that's supposed to glide up & down against the base of the cassette mech. Given that this point is metal-on-metal, is it reasonable to think that any points like this would need a very small bit of grease?

Or am I just looking at the white elephant and denying it's there. The head reset and load function is belt driven. (likely) The belt is getting marginal to drive the mechanics intermittently. NOT as likely that the mechanics are sticky?

(Belt-belt-belt-belt), replacing the belt may be most logical & likely thing at this point. I've never done a belt job on a 424mkIII. The mech's a lot different than the 234, 244 & 246. Looks like more of a PITA than rocket science.:eek:;)

Aagghh, sorry for the ramble!

Necessity is the Mother of PITA fixit jobs!:eek::eek:;)

Welcome to analog!

Update!

With further use, the problem of transitioning from RW or STOP mode to PLAY mode tape motion has minimized itself. It happens less as I use it more, or so it seems. I think with use this issue will disappear entirely.

Taking a cue from sweetbeats, I finally broke out the soldering iron and fixed that pesky problem with the Line Out jacks. I hardly ever DIY anymore, but this one was extremely annoying & compelled me to dive in head first!

Not before it got ugly, though!:eek::eek:;)

Attachments

• Im003118b.jpg
    Im003118b.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Im003117b.jpg
    Im003117b.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Im003116b.jpg
    Im003116b.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 41
Back