Hows this old tascam mixer?

cuibono

Howdy all,
I'm looking at picking up a M50 mixer for use with my Otari MTR-12II 4track. Any input on this mixer? I know it is old, but supposedly these tascam decks are good. How are the pres? Plenty of headroom? Anything I should watch out for? Are there XLR in/outs? There is no phantom power, correct? How do they sound? Is the EQ decent? I will be recording and mixing with it. Any age issues? Lets have at it!
Patrick

The M50 came out in the late 70's and stayed in the line for about 4 years.

It was the baby brother version to the M512 which had 100mm long stroke faders while the M50 had the cheaper 60mm ones. I've only ever seen one in person and it seemed like a decent little 8 buss board, pretty clean, very nice eq section with a self contained power supply.

The Soundcraft mentioned was a 4 buss desk and primarily geared to the PA user and was built accordingly tough for the road where the M50 would be more at home in a project studio though I am sure it could survive PA usage as well but was tailored for recording to TASCAM ATRs with the -10db, unbalanced, RCA plugs and balanced mic inputs without phantom power.

It's a very solid board with much better build quality then all those Mackie's and Behringer boards that became the cheap standard in the 90's.

Cheers! :)

Last edited:
Back