how to sync a tascam msr16 to logic

theshrubbery

hi

i have searched the internet and been on many forums yet no one has given me a straight answer, so im hoping one of you lovely people may be able to help.

how do i sync my tascam msr 16 track tape recorder to logic, with logic as the master?

do i need an mts1000 or can i use something else like a time line microlynx, maybe 2x lyinx modules or a tascam es50?

please can someone help

Kindest regards Richard

I commend you for choosing the DAW as the master...

You need a device that speaks both MIDI and SMPTE timecode.

I've tried this with an ES-50 and a Tascam 58 and Cubase, but because the ES-50 is SMPTE only it is a major PITA...trust me. Nothing against the ES-50...if you are sync'ing two machines its just fine and well-built.

ATS-500 and MTS-1000 are KIND of in the same boat but they have MIDI functionaility, but not quite in the way you want to use it.

I finally caved to the admonitions of several people to just do it right and get a TimeLine Microlynx.

It is...awesome.

If you can find one and you really want to do this, it is THE ticket for chase-locking your tape machine to a DAW using MTC and SMPTE TC.

hi

Thanks vey much for your advice it is much appreciated.I have found a microlynx for sale for $200 so i may invest. they seem to be pretty hard to come across here in the uk.

Could you give me some advice on how to rig this up and what cables i would need. how doest it connect to the tape? my machine has 2 serial ports.

Back