How to record sound of ocean on a Nagra?

kollontai77

hello everyone

I'm thinking of renting a Nagra (portable reel to reel) and Sennheiser mic from the local radio station, to record the sound of the ocean, for a film I'm planning.

How do I go about doing this, without the wind overpowering the ocean sound? ie to get a nice wave-crashing sound, and seagulls cawing, without hearing the gale winds?

Thanks

Place a windscreen over the microphone to reduce or eliminate the wind noise.

Simpler ones are made of foam and better ones resemble a fur coat.

Cheers! :)

recording ocean sounds

:)
Place a windscreen over the microphone to reduce or eliminate the wind noise.

Simpler ones are made of foam and better ones resemble a fur coat.

Cheers! :)

Aloha, the most effective method to record ocean sounds is using microphones with Rycote windscreens. The larger diameter the better and more effective they become. For higher wind velocity use the windjammer(fur looking) over the windscreen. It sometimes helps to select the mic base rolloff. Amazing results can be achieved with this method. If using the Nagra, it has several rolloff selections to match what results you are looking for. By using a mic pole, you can eliminate hand noise for a much cleaner recording. Cheers

You don't need a boom, a hand mount is fine - after all, most of the windshields have a grip, and then the boom screws into that? This is the sort of result you can get.
video clip

Cheapish Chinese shotgun and a mount.

Back