How much shed is normal with 911?

man-bot

Just curious how much shed/oxide build up I should expect using RMG 911?

I have been using the tape on my machine for the past couple of weeks - pretty infrequently but may 8-10 hours total and I thought I would check what the heads looked like. I was pretty shocked to see quite a bit of shed!!

The build up didn't seem to affect the sound and was easily removed with isopropyl, but I didn't know how much should be visible... there was quite a bit!

I just returned a RMGI 911 tape because it had excess shedding. I had to make sure to check that my tape path was not creating the issue. I clean the heads once before I use the machine and also during a session depending how long the session is. How often are you cleaning the heads and path?

I just picked up the machine about a month or so ago and thoroughly cleaned it. I've run it with this tape 8-10 hours - no cleaning in between.

Just curious how much shed/oxide build up I should expect using RMG 911?

I have been using the tape on my machine for the past couple of weeks - pretty infrequently but may 8-10 hours total and I thought I would check what the heads looked like. I was pretty shocked to see quite a bit of shed!!

The build up didn't seem to affect the sound and was easily removed with isopropyl, but I didn't know how much should be visible... there was quite a bit!

When I was a studio neophyte, I was taught to clean the tape path every time prior to loading tape. IMHO, waiting 8-10 hours between cleanings is a bad idea no matter how little a tape might shed.

Yep, what Rick said about cleaning.

However, it may not rule out a bad lot of tape in your particular case. Where did you buy it? That's the frist question. I expect that some of the stuff that was shedding so much in the beginning will get back out on the street... or instead of sending it back some may have just resold it, so it keeps coming back around.

All tape leaves some oxide behind, but it can go beyond acceptable levels and the tape should be returned.

shedding 911

ive been using 911 on the tsr8 for the past few days and no shedding yet. i hear you should always clean! probably for the best aye.

Back