How many passes can tape take?

jake-owa

Banned
I'm using the 1980s tapes I got with my ATR60 and I must have gone over this one 20 times and I still can't tell if anything is degrading. How long does it take? I thought "this tape is old and used, it probably won't take much"...I was wrong.

Jake, it all depends on how much care has been taken in the storage of the tapes. 20 passes isn't alot on old tape if the number of passes was low initially. Ive had to do remixes on 20 year old tape before where the stuff was tracked hot and the tape was cared for and it sounded like last week and I've done remixes on tape 12 years old not cared for and I have to clean the heads every 5 passes. Do you have a dehydrator for baking them old tapes?

SoMm

Oh no, I believe you.

It's the greatest thing ever, I love tape...it never crashes never gets lost in a file...it will be there tomorrow.

:D New tape can be passed over 300 times, provided the heads and guides are in good/clean condition.
Heads that are badly worn/damaged can shred new tape in as little as one pass.

da MUTT

you will know when you can longer pass the tape. The "coating" (oxide) will start peeling off. It is good for practically limitless amounts of passes. Tape will be there tomorrow unless you get it to close to a speaker, amp, etc. motors are bad also. Keep you tape off the top of the 'fridge, there is a magnet in that there thang. Also store in tails out, or you will get "undesirable" print through.

Ok nubby, but doesn't tape start to lose some high frequency response after a certain number of passes? I thought I read that somewhere.

Back