How many folks record to tape and bounce to digital?

chewbacaface

I now have two 1/4inch 8 track reel to reel recorders and a really nice Mac tower with a 24 track MOTU interface. I've been considering setting up a chain where I record to the tape and monitor that into the digital interface. Does anyone else do that? Does that seem reasonable or am I going to be losing a lot in the conversion. The AD converters in the MOTU are pretty solid but I need to do a lot of post mixing/processing that is just ten times faster on the computer vs using my rack stuff and the board inserts on the 388/454. I am just now getting back into analog stuff because I am sick to death of the recordings I am getting from the digital setup I have. My digital studio is full of some really nice gear but I've tried all of the tape saturation plugin and none of them sound real. So, I'm going back but I'd like to do something that was a hybrid of both. Anyone have a similar setup to this and gotten good results? I'd love to hear about it.

Ryan

Oh, and I should mention that I've done this a lot with two track reel to reel for mastering but never with the 8 tracks and dumping directly for the purpose of mixing/processing in the digital world. So, I'm interested in how tracks handle being recorded in analog but mixed digitally.

I do a lot of multi-tracking to tape...dump to DAW...edit....then I mix back out of the DAW through an analog console with analog outboard gear to a 2-track tape deck/..and then the stereo mix from there back into the DAW for final mastering steps and touch-ups.

So yeah...it's all good. :)

Thanks. That is exactly the process I am looking to do. Though, I might add additional tracks via the daw because I can't get by with just 8 and from what I've read it is pretty hard to get the machine to play at the exact same speed.

If you have sync capability with your deck...then it's not a big deal to do more than one pass from the deck to the DAW.

Back