How do these heads look..

Bigsnake00

This is a Otari that I am looking at, but I really dont know what to look for in the heads...so, if anyone could tell me what the think that would be GRRRRRRREAT

Attachments

• otari.jpg
    otari.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 54
Bigsnake00 said:
This is a Otari that I am looking at, but I really dont know what to look for in the heads...so, if anyone could tell me what the think that would be GRRRRRRREAT
While I'm no expert at providing this type of advice (I'll leave that to others), I see that the tape path wasn't particularly well kept. To put it bluntly: the entire tape path is FILTHY! Now, what is that crusted old thing at the far right ? Don't tell me it's the pinch roller! I also see a groove on the tape lifter. (I sure hope the Otari has a second tape lifter). The grooves on the tape lifters signify the amount of time the tape has been in Fw and Rev. Obviously this is a well used machine. The heads, however, from the pict, don't neccessarily show a lot of wear damage, at least not to the naked eye, but are definitely filthy with oxide (basically rust) that has not been cleaned for some time. I feel the heads still have a bit less than half of their life left in them but it's hard to tell. Judging from the lack of maintenance on the tape path, I'd be surprised if the rest of the deck and especially the inside, wasn't filthy as well. The previous owner should have been arrested for that!! Gotta tell you that personally I'd pass on this purchase, unless that is, you are certain it works, records good tones and the price is way down, below market value for this particular condition Otari. You can then take it to a tech and have it properly brought up to spec. I'll let someone else jump in.

~Daniel

That's basically what I was going to say.

It's filthy, grungy, high usage and well worn. With all the oxide, it's hard to tell about the heads, 100%. The dirtiness of it does not present the heads in the best light. I don't know what that grainy thing is on the upper right, but I hope it's not the pinchwheel or capstan. I'd pass on this one. :eek:

Bigsnake00 said:
I know nothing about what to look for, but even I knew that wasnt clean.....I'm sure that is the pinch roller

Well, it's actually more than it just not being clean. If that's the pinch roller then I'm truly sorry for the poor soul who's gonna purchase this machine. Frankly I'd tell the seller(s) to go fuck himself and not waste anyone's time with their piece of garbage Otari. :mad:

~Daniel

I'm going to go against the crowd here and assert that the heads actually look quite decent! Not too flattened looking at all and the guide posts are clean and not worn down.

The pinch roller on an Otari is more of a natural rubber color with a yellowish hue to it and not black like most TASCAM rollers so a possible reconditioning of the roller may be possible with some of This stuff

I'll agree that the deck could definitely use a spirited cleaning but, it doesn't look hopeless by a long shot.

Cheers! :)

Back