How can I clean scratchy pots on LXP-1?

P

Peck

Would someone mind telling me how to go about cleaning scratchy pots on the LXP-1?

I'm assuming Deoxit is what I will need. I saw it at Fry's the other day.

Thanks in advance.

Do they at least settle down with a little exorcise'?
I got mine used (this was quite a while ago) had them replaced, and although it was an improvement, their still slightly flaky. :confused: Makes me wonder if maybe what ever's going through them could be particularly sensitive or something .. Don't know.
Slick little verb though. :)

I've only used it a few times, so maybe the scratchiness will go away on its own. I used to have this big old Allen Heath Mixing Board and some of the pots were scratchy on it too. I think after a while of use it got better, but never perfectly clean.

I want to have this reverb working real flawlessly though in case I want to adjust the reverb on the fly for some weird effect or something... I don't know. :p

Best thing is to open it up so you can actually get to the pot(s). Usually there are holes in the body of the pot so you can shoot DeoxIT into it on one side and have it tipped so the DeoxIT can drain out the other side. Exercise using a sholace wrapped around the pot knob so you can rapidly sweep it from lock to lock and then rinse with another shot of DeoxIT.

I'm not certain about this but I've found that mic pre's are the hardest to quiet and I've heard that some of that is related to the load that the pot carries and sometimes is related to flakey caps. I plan on doing a test sometime by taking a mic pre trim pot that is noisy and just replacing the pertinent capacitors and seeing shat changes there are, and also taking a trim pot that has been cleaned but is still noisy and then recapping the mic preamp and seeing if it helps.

just in case anyone cares :) this issue seems to have resolved itself without deoxit...

I just had to use it a couple of times!

Back