Hold down tape?

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
When recording, do you guys use hold down tape, such as this one http://www.splicit.com/hold_down_tape.html to actually hold down the end (of tape) to the take up reel (so that it doesn't spool off)? If not, what do you use? Some take up reels don't have those slits which enable to secure the end. How do you do it? Just curious....:confused:

Considering I don't do any "pro" stuff, I don't know if my answer will apply.:p

I just wrap the end around, holding it with my thumb, and letting the tape wrap over itself. I give it a couple of rotations until the tape doesn't slip during rotation. You know, like everyone (probably including yourself) does.:D

I guess the hold-down tape would be the quick and easy way to do it though.:confused:

Yup, I do that too but I'm looking for an easier way and thus the hold down tape..;)

THUMBS UP to hold down tape for this purpose?:confused:

On 1/2" tape, it's pretty easy to use Scotch (sticky, not recording) tape for that purpose.

If you want to use it for 1/4", you have to slice it thinner first.

-MD

I know it takes a little getting used to, but for me it is easier and quicker not to use the hold down tape. I know different reels have different size holes, so hold down tape might be easier in some cases.

Watch out though, I have broken the tape off by not paying attention during rewind.

I think some are talking about two different things, if I’m following the posts. :confused:

Hold-down tape is for holding the loose end on a reel for storage. Never use tape to thread a tape, as in attaching it to a take-up reel for recording. Both ends should be free. Tape like that will put a lump in the spool that will deform the tape.
:)

Hold-down tape is for holding the loose end on a reel for storage. Never use tape to thread a tape, as in attaching it to a take-up reel for recording. Both ends should be free. Tape like that will put a lump in the spool that will deform the tape.

That right there convinced me not to use it for that purpose. Thanks Tim and thanks to all who replied as well!!:):)

I think some are talking about two different things, if I’m following the posts. :confused:

I was questioning that myself. I had a feeling that putting that "lump" in there wouldn't be good. Good to have it confirmed.:D

As far as securing the loose end..............I just put the reel back in the box. The first 10 feet are worthless anyway. I guess if one is worried about the tape becoming slack because the packing doesn't stay tight.........:confused:

Back