Hmm, strange problem with new RMG SM468 tapes...

fred s.

I got a couple reels of 1/2" SM468 from Fullcompass, to use with my Tascam MSR16...

Whenever I record or punch in/out you can clearly hear slight "pops" in the tape upon playback, wherever
I had hit record and stop.

-I'm not having this issue with Quantegy 456 tape which I was using until now.

Any ideas?:confused:

Hi Fred,
Just to clarify, did you try going back and trying the 456 after you noticed the issue? I ask because it sounds like a common description of the sound of heads that are magnetized.
If it's an indeed a problem related to the tape stock, I'd guess that maybe the bias is a bit low for the tape. In my experience, under-biasing can add a lot of treble-y noise to the signal.
I'm sure the experts will chime in soon with some more educated guesses...

Could it really be a bias issue? Any other opinions? I thought i read here that SM468 and 456 tapes were a close match.

Never had this issues on other decks.

I thought i read here that SM468 and 456 tapes were a close match.

468 requires more bias than 456 but I don't think that's the problem with the "pops". If it were me, I'd call RMGI and get them to exchange the tape for a more recent batch.

These were as recent as December 2010 (purchase) from what I recall. Do you think it will make a difference to get newer tape?

468 requires more bias than 456 but I don't think that's the problem with the "pops". If it were me, I'd call RMGI and get them to exchange the tape for a more recent batch.

I could start my own forum concerning the issues I've had with 468. I went through 6 reels of 1/4" and none of them played correctly in my TEAC A-2300SD. I'm currently using Ampex 632 without any issues at all. I would stay away from 468 unless its a Nagra you're running it on.

These were as recent as December 2010 (purchase) from what I recall. Do you think it will make a difference to get newer tape?

The purchase date and actual batch date could be worlds apart. It's possible you've got a bad one. I would contact RMGI and talk about a replacement: Contact Us

Just call and tell 'em what you're experiencing. They're very good at replacing defective tapes.

The purchase date and actual batch date could be worlds apart. It's possible you've got a bad one. I would contact RMGI and talk about a replacement: Contact Us

Just call and tell 'em what you're experiencing. They're very good at replacing defective tapes.

I did, and they were quite helpful. Thanks!

Hmm... this is strange. I'm racking my brain trying to remember anything like this happening with one tape and not another, but I can't remember anything like this except with cassette tapes. 468 can use another dB for bias, but I can't imagine it would make that much difference... unless your bias is off even further than you think. And since everything is clean and degaussed, man I don't know. I've always had great experience with SM468, but I only use NOS BASF/EMTEC. I have one reel of first run RMGI SM468 and it's fine.

I really like the tape too. Great highs, and presence. Where do you find NOS, Ebay?

Hmm... this is strange. I'm racking my brain trying to remember anything like this happening with one tape and not another, but I can't remember anything like this except with cassette tapes. 468 can use another dB for bias, but I can't imagine it would make that much difference... unless your bias is off even further than you think. And since everything is clean and degaussed, man I don't know. I've always had great experience with SM468, but I only use NOS BASF/EMTEC. I have one reel of first run RMGI SM468 and it's fine.

Wait, I'm thinking it may not be the tape. You say you're getting pops? Tell us how you're punching in...

Whenever I record or punch in/out you can clearly hear slight "pops" in the tape upon playback, wherever
I had hit record and stop.

Record and stop? Try punching out first and THEN hitting stop. Whenever you arm a channel and then hit "record-play" you're likely to get a pop or a thump, which is why I'm thinking that HOW you're recording tracks may be the issue.

I had a msr16. Same thing. I purchased it new in 1991 and thats when the troubles began. I noticed a popping noise in my recordings. I paid for an alignment. No help. I changed brands of tape I tried Scotch ,Agfa,and some brand from england, same results . No help. I cleaned, I demaged I cleaned I demaged. Nothing helped I paid shipping both ways to tascam it was returned with the same noise, they said they heard nothing. In the process I lost all my customers. At the time I had a moderately good customer base. That machine ended all that. I have nothing good to say about tascam or that machine. I traded it in on a Fostes G16. One of the best moves I ever made 19 years later and its never failed and I use it very frequently. I think it needs a memory battery now. It Sounds different becaus it has dolbyc. By comparison its brighter and more open sounding. I wish I could offer some advice but I never found a solution and tascam was of no help to me. Thats my story and Im sticking to it.

I also had a Tascam 38 before the msr. It gave reasonably good service but it was fraught with transport issues that over the 4 years I had it probably cost me what the machine cost. Im sure some people on this forum feel Tascam is a cut above Fostex, Ive seen people say debasing things about fostex in comparison but thats not been my experience. But my reel issue is tascams attitude when there was a problem with their machines.

Never heard that before. Although I did have a Fostex area rep tell me the guys that started fostex were previously tascam employees. Have no evidence on any of this . Tell me more.

I don't know any more. I think Cory or Ethan or Dave would know better.

It's just that when I see a Fostex and the way it's laid out it certainly closely emulates a Tascam unit.

Back