Here we go again - 3: TEAC A-3340

It's Not New

It has tape oxide tracks on the pinch roller and capstan. It could be like-new, but I would ask for a clear close-up pic of the heads.

The shipping details and a couple negative shipping feedbacks scares me too. :(

Good catch, Tim, but not so clear from the photos.
...I would ask for a clear close-up pic of the heads.
Yeah, that is a very good idea. And if the seller will say no extra pics or does not answer, then - forget about it, period.

The shipping details scares me :(
The guy seems to over-price shipping all around. So just consider it as an extra to the price of items, less fees to eBay. People do this. It's kind of cheating, but it depends on how you look at it.
Well, "extra" bubble wrap or peanuts or a combination of both in this specific case would not hurt, I guess :D

... couple negative shipping feedbacks scares me too. :(
Uh, looking into details of those two, I would not really take it as a warning sign. Always, Check the details of negatives if available.

Hi, Steve! Watch this item: http://cgi.ebay.com/TEAC-A-2340SX-Reel-to-Reel-Tape-Recorder-Player-remote_W0QQitemZ130242836259. Free RC-120 on the side as appetizer :D
How far from you is it?

If it isn't new in the box, it's really not worth that kind of money..... not even close. If it IS NIB, then if you are bidding locate a belt kit BEFORE you bid, they will likely be rotted away or about to break after all these years. However, in my local craigslist a guy is selling a really nice condition Otari MX-5050 4 track for $350..... a better deck all the way around is most people's minds. Caveat Emptor is the phrase to remember!

AK

Most People's Minds - An Artist's Nightmare.

;)

Larg and Heavily Empty Canvas is the "phrase" to think about. :D

seriously, it's all about the "smell" of it as far as "new" goes, to me so anyway. That is so if it's actually new, of course. And that means that transport, tape-path and heads are virgin :cool: , which is actually an important good thing, as one may think when it comes to tape recorders (hey!, maybe even most people would think so ;) )
Also, MX-5050 is NOT a better deck, not all the way around that's for sure and also depends on who you ask - that is Double! so for sure :)
As for rotted rubber - no brand is immuned from this one, that's a given.

As far as price and worthiness goes - all those machines (analog reel-to-reel recorders that is) are priceless, as I see it.
It won't last forever, But then, again, what will ?

/respects

Shipping costs, $21.00?:eek: He must be out of his mind.
That's quite a haul for me to get to. But for where it's at now, $37.00 shipped it'd be a steal. :D
Steve just a note here regarding to this one. I checked other items and the seller has "another one" here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350084291776 heh heh,
now this looks kind of strange and the remote looks the same. Well it could be so he/she got two decks and maybe actually two remotes, but made photo of the same unit, and used the same "description template" (heh heh) or who knows what the hell is going on here.
So I've send a question about that second deck (with no head cover one).
My question was whether it comes with remote and is shipping calculator correct and the answer was:
exact quote: "yes it does come with the remote shown, as far as I know,the shipping
calculator should be correct"

Now, my favorite part is: "as far as I know" (is it about remote or shipping calculator or both?) :confused:. ... heh heh :D

So, I don't know what to make out of this, but you better try to contact the seller first and double check or try to clear thing up in case if you may think about bidding.
Well, to get the remote and the deck even under 100 bucks or so looks like not so bad, but, you know, see for yourself.

exact quote: "yes it does come with the remote shown, as far as I know,the shipping
calculator should be correct"

Now, my favorite part is: "as far as I know" (is it about remote or shipping calculator or both?) :confused:. ... heh heh :D

:D Pretty tricky play on words. I'm not going to be bidding though anyway.

Back