Help on using Sync feature on a 4 track

futuredays

home recordist
Help! For the first time, I'm trying to use the sync feature on my Yamaha MT3X cassette 4-track. I'm trying to lay sync code off my Roland R70 drum machine to a track on tape. I tried taping it as I tape any other sound source but obviously the dbx noise reduction must be tripping it up...I can lay down one other track besides the sync track and then the sync stops working properly. From then on, the sync track kicks the drum machine off at the wrong tempo.

I've misplaced my MT3X manual so if anyone can help...

The MT3X has a sync on/off button and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to use it. Do I turn it on as I lay down the sync code? Do I turn it on as I play back? Or both? Is the sync feature only active on one track? I'd be grateful if someone could give me clear step by step instructions...I guess it's possible to assume that other Yamaha 4 tracks operate similarly so if you don't have this specific model, maybe you can tell me how yours works...

Thanks in advance.

Got an MT2X...

... and it has separate ins and outs for sync, that bypasses the dbx noise reduction. I think its for track 4, but I'm not 100% positive.

The sync on button should be on both on record and playback. It most likely does the same thing as the MT2X syn in/out, i.e. defeats the dbx on a channel (probably channel 4).

Thanks regebro, I'm working fine now. Thanks to your info and a bit of trial and error I now know how the sync works on the MT3X.

Actually my drum tempo problem was not caused by the sync track...it was just a peculiarity of the R-70 and how it handles the setting of tempo in a song. (I have nothing but good stuff to say about the Roland R-70, but if it has one flaw, it's their implementation for making tempo changes within a song.)

Hey futuredays - make sure that you don't record a loud signal too high on the adjacent track to the sync track (3) because the crosstalk between tracks can interfere with the sync signal and cause dropouts etc.

cheers
John

Back