HELP! Teac 144 or a later tascam model?

koalabearsoup

So I just bought a Teac 144 on ebay, but it has not been shipped yet. After looking around a while about what I should get, I wanted to get the best analog sound quality as possible for the money. I've noticed many swearing by the Tascam 242 or the early tascam models and I guess I assumed the 144 was just as good as far as good warm sound quality goes. I still have time to return it and get a full refund because now I'm second guessing myself,

does anyone think it would be worth it to cancel the order to get a later model? Is there that much of a difference between the 144 and the later models?

Thanks I really appreciate your help!

4-track Portastudios

I think the 244 or 246 might give slightly better sound quality, based on having better (sweep) EQ and dbx NR, vs (fixed) EQ & Dolby NR on the 144, but I'm not sure it would be such a huge difference to cancel a transaction you've already begun.

Likewise, many of the more modern 4-track Portastudios would give you respectable features and decent sound quality, such as the 424mkII & 424mkIII, etc.

There's a lot to be said about recording technique making a bigger difference in sound quality than several types of gear with similar features. A bigger downside to vintage equipment is the maintenance and repair issues that come with age.

With that being said, the bigger boost in quality might be to step up to a reel-to-reel recorder and mixer setup, but that might not be within your immediate budget.

:spank::eek:;)

The Teac 144 was the fist cassette portastudio ever made, so there was a lot to improve on subsequent models. It was my first one as well. It is very limited compared to later models. It’s lacking in features and sound quality. It uses Dolby B NR, which isn’t so great. Crosstalk and modulation noise can get pretty bad. That said, I got a lot done with it and so did a lot of other people working within limitations. IMO the best Teac/Tascam cassette portastudio is the 246. The sound quality of the 244 and 246 is leaps ahead of the 144. I would not want another 144 even for nostalgia.

I've read things you've posted all over this site beck and I feel like I should take you on your word, I've cancelled it before it was shipped, pretty easy. Found a 244 for real cheap described as;

"Tascam 244 Portastudio

I bought this new, it's worked good however now

it has tape transport issues, sometimes

jams and wont turn or will eat tape.

Selling as-is, no returns

Parts or Fix?"

Is this something as easy to fix as a belt issue do you think? If so I'll jump on this thing right away. Thanks guys. I've been recording for 3-4 years ish quasi-daily with newish digital tascam stuff and I got so sick of the sound that I wanted to puke, so analog sounded like the next best thing. I'm about to be recording some really important stuff.

Just be sure you want a project where you'll have to dive in pretty deeply and that you're confident in your skills to do so. Or you have a local shop that can do it for you. Sooner or later these machines need new idler tires. The problems listed point to that... and/or pinch roller. It's a good idea to change out all the rubber on these. You can still get the upper and lower idler tire assemblies, drive belts and pinch roller from Tascam Parts in California. It requires significant disassembly.

Yup!

Fixable with some effort.
I've posted a couple times about 244 & 246 refurbishment, with pics.
I don't think you can get idler tires from Tascam anymore, but similarly sized O-rings will do the trick!
:spank::eek:;)

Thanks a bunch you guys, seriously. I got me a 244 for 100 bucks, got two new belts for 15. Literally took me about 15 minutes to do the replacement job.

This thing sounds really great. I feel like I'm at a whole new phase of my recording-life now. I'm sort of blown away. Without your help I coulda been stuck with a 144 and might've been a little less -whelmed.

I've posted a new thread with some general questions (not repair related), your advice would be really appreciated especially if you have had experience with a 244!

Back