Help with Relay

SteveM

I've discovered that the record relay is not triggering on my tape deck for track 3 . For all other tracks it triggers and tracks record fine. Track 3 will play back but not record. It appears there are 4 different record relays on the 3340. Could it be just the record function switch for track 3 is bad. Any ideas?

Steve, did you check through your cracked/fixed normal/simul board yet. That thing is "involved" in the dayly life of the citizens of the machine like you know what :mad: ;) :D
I wish I had a clue about how diffrent your machine is from your a2340sx machine, but you can look at the schematics, it may give you some clues. I only have those scans that you've sent me back then and it's kind of hard to use for figuring things out.
Look there in the section where you see P.B/REC. heads and switches. See there leads marked as J, K, M and O, then look down/right (I guess, as I have only pieces of the puzzle here :eek: ), find section with "BIAS PC Board", there you'll find J,K,M and O. Those leads are one side of Coils Ks- 502,503, 602, 603 ? (hard to read on my prints).
Again, 3340 may have different desing, I've no idea, but you gotta make sure that all your connections are cool. Also in addition to cracked board and/or bad solder/connection the switches themselves may be sloppy. On my machine they are. If I shake/move the switches knobs up/down I get engage/disengage relays/rec.lamps going on, and I actually did spray-clean the switches.

Hey Mike, I think I may have figured it out. I think! I opened up the record switch for track 3 and compared to another for track 2 and it seems track 3 is missing two little clips inside the switch that act as the bridge connectors when you slide it. Basically the "good one" has 4 and the bad track only has two. You would think they should be all the same. I hoping that's the reason. If I had a camera I'd take a picture just to show you what I'm talking about. So I need to get a replacement somehow. It's not something you can just pick up at Rat Shack. Or... I could pull it out of a switch from another TEAC thing I have... :eek:..... which I'm trying to resist.:D But maybe I should just so I can find out.

huh while I was trying to get to the board (takes forever :( ) TX was already here :cool: :D So I guess you're all set :)
So just in case, I could not find slide type of switches, but a good seller in our "area" has 4P2T switches that can be used as substitute here, I think it's possible to mount them into existing square holes with washer(s).
Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/3-NEW-MINI-TOGGLE-4PDT-4P2T-ON-ON-SWITCH-125-VAC-6-AMP_W0QQitemZ120353807296

I had the same problem Mike. Took me a day to get back on here. :rolleyes:

I did use the 2340 manual to compare. It's pretty close.

If you don't have the a3340s manual I found it here http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2KHANF2L as a PDF. Unfortunately though it doesn't have the schematics. :o

Back