Help With Reel to Reel Setup

jadoss23

I recently moved from a Tascam 4 track tape recorder to a Fostex A8 reel to reel and news some help with setup. I bought a Tascam 1508 mixer and have somewhat set it up but unsure on simple terms what’s the easiest and most efficient way to record on the reel. What channels do I need to send and to play back what I’ve recorded? Thanks for any help.

Normally I'd be happy to suggest a basic setup, but the 1508 seems to be an actual recording mixer and I don't have any experience with those. Also the A8 is a 4-input machine (unless it an A8LR) which is likely to complicate the process.

For a normal mixer and a normal multitrack, the recommended approach is to get a patchbay. You attach the patchbay to the 8 inputs on the tape deck, and feed the 8 outputs from the tape deck into 8 inputs on the mixer. You'd probably want to plug an effects unit into the mixer's send/return bus so you can add reverb during mixdown to make things sound less dry (and also give you faux stereo for the mono channels).

That setup would mean that you can't really do EQ or effects on the signal that's being recorded to tape (unless you're using a pedal chain or something on the way into the patchbay), and you also can't record multiple instruments on a single channel. In that situation you'd usually add another mixer up front to submix instruments or insert effects as they're being recorded.

That's what I'd normally suggest as a starting setup. However, a recording mixer like the 1508 should be able to arrange it so that the first 4 channels can be sent back out to the tape deck's inputs, with a control somewhere for each channel determining whether you're going to be hearing the output from the channel itself, or the return from the tape deck. That would obviate the need for a submixer, but you'll need suggestions from someone who has actually had experience with this kind of mixer to get a useful description of exactly how it should be used.

Great news,

You bought a mixer that is perfect ( I mean PERFECT) for your recorder (and vice versa). A8 being 4 input doesn't complicate anything because the m1508 is also only 4 bus.

I have an m1508 i use with a tascam 238 and I really enjoy working with the mixer, it's a beaut

So the hardware setup would be as such:
The M1508 is a 4 bus mixer. So hook group outputs (up the very top of the M1508) of the mixer into the 4 inputs on the back of the a8 (hooking 1->1 etc.).
Then hook up the 8 outputs from the a8 labelled 1->8 to the "tape in" rca jacks on the m1508 (just infront of the group outputs!).
I'd recommend getting some snake/multicables to hook the two machines up just for the sake of neatness and not having cables flying avout everywhere.

Also, download the m1508 user manual and familiarise yourself with it. Same with the a8. The m1508 is what's known as an "in-line" mixer. They can sometimes be a little confusing at first but once you know how they work you will be SO happy that you got one of these to work with a tape machine. (if you can't find the manual shoot me a message I think I have it).

These two pieces of equipment are very well suited for eachother and will let you record quickly and with ease once you know them well.
this setup will let you record 4 separate tracks on the a8 at the same time.

Anymore questions don't hesitate to ask.:)

Still having trouble getting anything to record. Unsure if I'm not connected correct or not switching the right knobs.

Number one... Make sure patch outputs are connectted to appropriate inputs from mixer to recorder

number 2... Make sure whatever signal you have is going through the patch to the recorder

number 3 You have to arm the channel on the recorder you wish to record...

This is done usually by hitting the record button once and make sure you select the appropriate channel... blinking red record light

number 4 Hold down record an play at same time to get solid red for record... It shkjld be recording your signal as measured previously in step 3

hey jadoss!

sorry for the delay in replying. would you be able to post a photo of your current set up so i can see what it looks like and point out anything you need to change?

finn:)

Back