HELP! Machine won't rewind!

FALKEN

turned on my perfectly good machine (Fostex E-16).

hit play.

shit started fast-forwarding.

shit.

hit stop.

kept fast-forwarding.

pulled the power.

turned it back on.

hit rewind.

it fast-forwards.

shit. pull the power.

plug in my autolocator.

turn everything on.

hit rewind.

it fast forwards.

arrrrrgh!!!!!!

anyone had this problem???

The Ghost of FM said:
Do you have a reel of tape loaded on the machine?

If not, it would partially explain your situation.

NO! I was going to record onto my ASS!

...yes, I do.

FALKEN said:
NO! I was going to record onto my ASS!
That's gonna leave a mark...a skid mark, no doubt! :D

It sounds like a logic based component failure if no remote or auto-locator is plugged in and still does the problem. There might be an addressable EPROM chip on the logic control board which needs to be reseated or a wiring harness going in or out of that same board which also might need to be unplugged and plugged back in to fix an oxidized contact in the connector.

I've also never read of anyone else with the same problem so your best bet, if you're not comfortable taking apart the deck is to seek out a qualified repair shop and get an estimate on getting it fixed.

Cheers! :)

I've experienced a similar problem with a Tascam before. For my resolve I removed the cover and stripped the right reel hub down to the shaft. Once I got to this point I saw that a shaft screw was loose that held the reel hub to the shaft which allowed it to spin freely - explaining why I had tape flutter. After tightening it and reassembling the machine, it worked for another many, many hours of recording but eventually I had to do the same thing again, I don't know if there should be anything besides the set screw to hold the piece to the shaft or not - it would seem helpful given the problem. I found this to be a fairly simple repair but it is a bit tedious the first time because of the nature of taking the face cover off and all the connectors loose.

I wouldn't swear this is your problem but it may be worth checking into based on other replies you get. Good luck.

and....

WE'RE BACK ON!

don't you love technology???

don't know what did it. i aint complainin!

FALKEN said:
and....

WE'RE BACK ON!

don't you love technology???

don't know what did it. i aint complainin!
Lady luck is on your side...for the moment! ;)

If it happens again , and it might...consider my previous suggestion to get it looked at by a professional.

Cheers! :)

Back