Help! Emergency Emergency

Mark7

Studio Spares here in the U.K. have stopped selling Quantegy 457 (which was perfect for my 388). What should I do? Is 407 a good substitute? Should I switch to 456 and forego that handy dandy "Load" feature? Does anyone know a reliable source of 457?

I can't afford a 1/2" just yet.

Mark7 said:
Studio Spares here in the U.K. have stopped selling Quantegy 457 (which was perfect for my 388). What should I do? Is 407 a good substitute? Should I switch to 456 and forego that handy dandy "Load" feature? Does anyone know a reliable source of 457?

I can't afford a 1/2" just yet.

Damn, I wish I could help you out .. but I'm in Canada :( . I got me some 456 tape locally but haven't got a chance to use it yet. Why won't you go with the 456 which is an industry standard, as far as I know ? You should also check out UK eBay .. I've seen some of the tapes you're looking for on there periodically.

Good Luck to ya!

Daniel

then you also get to boycott studio spares. fuckin clowns. my mate was wiring a 32 channel analogue board to a patch bay and rang them to order 20 10 packs of jacks. the guy at s s was like what? you do know thats 200 jacks?!? why would you want that many? ok (in sarcastic tone)..

and the cost way too much

Quantegy 407 should do the trick for you as it has the same characteristics as 456 and 457.

They still manufacture 407 in the 1800ft, 7" reel so your LOAD feature can still work.

If one particular reseller doesn't have stock, simply find another.

457 is no longer manufactured as it would appear to be a redundant product.

The specs are here:
http://www.quantegy.com/PDFs/specsheets/406407.pdf

Cheers! :)

406/407 does not have the same characteristics as 456/457. It is bias compatible howvere, so you don't need to rebias when you switch.

457 is still listed on Quantegys spec sheet, but maybe it's still being manufactured, I don't know. I hope so, 457 is good when you wanna make those looong Pink Floyd songs. :p
Otherwise I like 456, OK, you only get 16 minutes per tape, but that also means less fast forward and rewinding.

My apologies.

I was going to type the word bias and opted instead to use the word characteristics instead.

Quantegy's website should be the only true source of information on this subject and it's best if you refer directly to it rather then rely on the ramblings of an aging rock and roller, such as myself.

Cheers! :)

Most probably 407 will do fine, but has anybody actually used it?

In a month or two I'm hopefully gonna get my 8-track down from SWeden, and I gonna need to get more tape...

Quote:

"...rather then rely on the ramblings of an aging rock and roller, such as myself.."

Ghost Of Fm
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL- Man I hope to someday learn as much as the few things you MAY HAVE forgotten!!

:)

Maybe use 456 and forego the use of the "LOAD" feature.

Also, maybe try 3M-226, which would be most like 456 and also on 1200'/7" reels.

Maybe try online shopping of tape with the many media suppliers in the states, but you'll have to make special arrangements for shipping, and some shops might not ship outside the US.

Me? I scored two boxes of 20 of 457 last summer, on clearance, for $1/reel, new, 40 reels. Beyond that, I have another s-load of 3M-226, about another 20 reels, AND I've found a source for new Quantegy 456-compatible media, 1200'/7" quarter inch wide media, in plain white boxes & plain reel,... no Quantegy logo on box or reel,... for all of $2.95/reel. It's brand new, 456-compatible Quantegy media, with a Quantegy stock number. The same as 456 'cept in a plain white box.;) That's from "Project One AV" in Burbank, California.;)

It's like an automatic brake that stops the tape from coming off the reel when you rewind or fast forward it. The reason it doesn't work with 456 is because 456 is 1200 feet and the Load mechanism is callibrated to work only with 1800 feet tape at 7.5 IPS.

Back