Help, buying first piece of recording gear

FRITZ614

Some help from those with more knowledge than myself would be greatly appreciated. I have no knowledge whatsoever about recording, so I'm going to start learning. I'm looking at 2 pieces of gear right now and would love to hear some advice, knowledge, ect. Fostex XR-7 for $100 and a Yamaha MT400 for $50. Thanks for you help!

Some help from those with more knowledge than myself would be greatly appreciated. I have no knowledge whatsoever about recording, so I'm going to start learning. I'm looking at 2 pieces of gear right now and would love to hear some advice, knowledge, ect. Fostex XR-7 for $100 and a Yamaha MT400 for $50. Thanks for you help!

The prices look good, here is one I found with a quick search.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/4786201800.html

Just curious, why are you going with tape? for about what you are looking to spend you can get a small interface and DAW software. Welcome to the board.

I want to do some lofi recording, interested in working with analog sounds. If you know any more info on those pieces of gear please let me know. Or can suggest something else similar. Thanks!

You can always go 'low-fi' with a computer setup. But with more options.

It is really just up to the user.

If you plan on editing and moving forward to future recordings, you may as well start by spending money on something that will be viable for the next ten years. Just my personal opinion tho. If you want to limit yourself and feel that cassette recordings are for you, then go right ahead. I won't judge. :)

Analog doesn not equate to or mean lo-fi. In actuality, some may consider analog hi-fi, and superior as well. Not that you can't achieve a lo-fi sound easier with say a cassette deck.

You can always turn hi-fi into lo-fi, not so much the other way around. Cassette recording doesn't give you anything you can't get with better gear, it just limits your options and quality.

I'd skip those two choices and try to source a Tascam 414mkII for appx. $75, if possible,... splitting the difference price-wise. I believe you'd get a better recording quality from the 414mkII vs. the others, due to it being slightly newer technology & of course my thoroughly entrenched pro-Tascam bias. If you could find a 424mkII in that price range would be even better.

Failing that, I'd probably favor the Yamaha vs. the Fostex, being dbx vs. Dolby, where I generally favor dbx NR.

:spank::eek:;)

I would go with the MT400 as well between those two. It's a nice deck--I've used one. I'm pretty sure it will spec better than the Fostex. Especially considering the price $50 for an MT400 is a good deal.

HOWEVER, please be aware that cassette 4-tracks are a bit of a gamble. I know this from lots of experience, unfortunately. Please do everything you can to verify that everything on the machine works and that they've tested everything! Obviously, this is of paramount importance if you buy from eBay and are not able to try it yourself.

But the thing about eBay is that you're protected and can get a refund if it doesn't work. With Craigslist, that's not always the case. So if buying via CL, make sure you try out everything before you buy it. I know it might seem like you're asking a lot to make them wait 15 minutes or so while you put it through the paces, but believe me ... it's worth the awkwardness if you can be sure you're getting a 100% working machine.

Back