HELP 4 Track sound washed out on playback.

Scooter B

While I previously posted a Q regaurding track bleed and head alignment I have a new and bigger head ache.

I just wasted four hours setting up and recording my drum machine and working with mixing in a live mic to an amp for a more live and vibrant sound. Good news I found some good results listening through the headphones and the monitors. Bad news on playback the volume swells and drops out over a 4-5 second interval through out the recording. I cleaned the heads again and got the same results. Just to make sure it was not a phase issue I recorded direct only into the deck; again it sounded fine while tracking but on play back the same slow oscilating wash out.

This is a Yamaha MTX 4 with very little recording time. I have probably only recorded 10 or so cuts on it over a four year period. I opened a new tape for this session but it may be a couple years old. The heads have been kept clean and demagnitized on a regular basis.

Any ideas on whats wrong and how to fix it? :eek:

Anyone?.....Anyone?......

Bueller?..Bueller....Faris Bueller?....

Anyone?..... Anyone?......

I can not record anymore with out a fix.

Anyone?....

NEVERMIND

Nevermind I have found the error in my ways.

I forgot I had someMETAL cassettes unopened in the back of my rack and when I reached for a new unopened tape I grabbed one of the Metal ones.

Not approved for four track use!

My bad

So let this thread die.

Scott:o

phew - i fveel for you. i thought i'd lost a track on my tascam - turned out to be a cabling problem.

how i sweated.

Back