Hello. Seeking Information

NewReligion

Hello to all and thank you for allowing me in to the community. I am by nature a guitarist who sings and has written, recorded etc... 2 CD's with the third in the works as of now. I am interested in knowing if any of you can provide web addresses to shops that sell used 8-16 track reel to reels. It is time to move in the direction of analog! I will post the url to my MySpace page below for reference so that you can have some Idea as to where I am and what level I am attempting to achieve. In addition I use the same Log Name on the Marshall Forum where I spend some time.

Thanks for the help.

David

WWW.MySpace.com/DavidCHopkins

Blevins Audio Exchange springs to mind...be aware that running a tape machine requires plenty of extra time, patience and maintenance...

David,

Shops... I wish it were that simple. Yes, there are brokers or re-sellers of pro, huge multi-track machines but those go into the many thousands so I'm not sure that's what you're asking about? If, on the other hand, you're talking more about smaller footprint recorders, ones made mostly for the home recording market, for musicians on a budget, then your best bet is local sales, craigslist etc.... Actually, that goes for pretty much any machine. You don't need to go to brokers or re-sellers but you really do need to know about what you're buying.

Provide some more details about what you're looking for, your budget, how you record, what you know about analogue, where about you are located etc...

David,

Shops... I wish it were that simple. Yes, there are brokers or re-sellers of pro, huge multi-track machines but those go into the many thousands so I'm not sure that's what you're asking about? If, on the other hand, you're talking more about smaller footprint recorders, ones made mostly for the home recording market, for musicians on a budget, then your best bet is local sales, craigslist etc.... Actually, that goes for pretty much any machine. You don't need to go to brokers or re-sellers but you really do need to know about what you're buying.

Provide some more details about what you're looking for, your budget, how you record, what you know about analogue, where about you are located etc...

Thanks guys. The thought was to complete most of my work on Sonar. Mix it down. Export to tape and adding the lead vocals so that the analog print of the tape head to tape will factor in the analod depth deminsion that I hear coming from my Uncles Fostex E16. Then back to 16 bit for final Mastering in Wavelab. I think an E16 is far more than what I will need for my intended use at this time. I think a 8 track 1/4 tape using tracks 2-7 would likely put me where I want to be but I could be totally wrong. I do know that his analog E16 has audio depth that seems unbelievable to my ears.

Perhaps something along the line of a Fostex 80 or R8 and a 450 board. I hoped that there may be shops that are difficult to find ( unheard of) on line that cater to what I seek without the BS required to endure Ebay.

Any thoughts?

David

WWW.MySpace.com/DavidCHopkins :)

Thanks guys. The thought was to complete most of my work on Sonar. Mix it down. Export to tape and adding the lead vocals so that the analog print of the tape head to tape will factor in the analod depth deminsion that I hear coming from my Uncles Fostex E16. Then back to 16 bit for final Mastering in Wavelab. I think an E16 is far more than what I will need for my intended use at this time. I think a 8 track 1/4 tape using tracks 2-7 would likely put me where I want to be but I could be totally wrong. I do know that his analog E16 has audio depth that seems unbelievable to my ears.

Any thoughts?

David

WWW.MySpace.com/DavidCHopkins :)

Well, I think that you need to do far less in digital, to realize the depth that you speak of. I feel that going from digital to tape is of no or limited use. You should track everything to tape and then go to digital, being careful not to over-process (in digital). Look for a TASCAM 1/2" 8 track or FOSTEX 1/4" 8 track, preferably local where you can check the condition and head ware. There's also some nice machines from OTARI. Obviously you'll also need a mixer.

http://www.audiovillage.org/gear.html

I bought a MX5050Bii-2 from this guy. He also sells on ebay. He knew what he was doing in shipping and the deck was modded by him (has some Biii pieces in it.) He has a Fostex E16 listed currently.

Also, I am planning on selling my Fostex 80, w/ a parts machine and a Teac 5 board, and Otari 2 track and some outboard as well, as a package deal. (I don't have all the necessary cabling yet, so it isn't a turnkey solution just yet, and it may be more than you want, especially the two track) Shipping will be steep also, because it would go in one big box, via a trucking company. I got my M-520 that way about 15 years ago, and shipping then for that was $450. If you are interested you can PM me.

Back