Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Head relapping?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey guys,
    where is the best company or place to get heads relapped? I was looking at jrf magnetics. They list the cost as 300.00 for 1/2 inch 8 tracks. I have a tsr-8 and it only has 2 heads not 3. So Im hoping to get a deal of some kind cause its not a normal 3 head job only 2. If they said 200 instead of 3 Id say sure.
    So Im looking for other options...
    Do certain companies do a better job?
    And when you hear all this talk about alinging the heads. If you just send in the heads on the mounting plate do they align it onto that and thats good? Or does the new heads have to be aligned ON the machine?
    Last edited by poopchute; 01-13-2009 at 09:04.

Thanks
    Welcome to the realities of the world of analog! JRF is among the best in the business. What leads you to think your heads need a re-lap?
    Rick Ruskin
    Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
    http://liondogmusic.com

Thanks
    Yeah-yeah...tell us about your heads.

Also, yes, if you do send your heads to JRF you want to send them on the headblock. The will the optically align the heads with the guides. IIRC that is included in the relap price.

Thanks
    Well I have what I beleive is called keystoning. Where one side has a wider groove or wear pattern and the other side is less. But another thing that leads me to think I should get them relapped is that Tracks 1 and 8 sometimes experience dropouts. I have not noticed this on tracks 2 and 7. But Im thinking that I may need relapping.
    Now when they say relapping or refurbish that means they will make them as close to new as can be done on used heads right? I emailed JRF but havent heard back. I just saw on their site that they charge 3oo for 1/2 inch 8 track heads. But Im assuming that would be for a standard 3 head block. Since mine is only 2 heads. 1 Erase head and 1 rec/playback head I would hope that they could cut that price down to 200. Which figures out at 100 bucks a head.
    Like I said Im "Hopeing" since I havent heard anything yet.
    So I dont need to send the whole machine in to get them aligned? Just the block or assembly?
    I can get some pics up in a day when I get my camera mailed back from my grandmas house...I left it there for Christmas...
    I own: Tascam TSR-8
    Tascam M-1600 mixer

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by poopchute View Post
    Well I have what I beleive is called keystoning. Where one side has a wider groove or wear pattern and the other side is less. But another thing that leads me to think I should get them relapped is that Tracks 1 and 8 sometimes experience dropouts. I have not noticed this on tracks 2 and 7. But Im thinking that I may need relapping.
    Now when they say relapping or refurbish that means they will make them as close to new as can be done on used heads right? I emailed JRF but havent heard back. I just saw on their site that they charge 3oo for 1/2 inch 8 track heads. But Im assuming that would be for a standard 3 head block. Since mine is only 2 heads. 1 Erase head and 1 rec/playback head I would hope that they could cut that price down to 200. Which figures out at 100 bucks a head.
    Like I said Im "Hopeing" since I havent heard anything yet.
    So I dont need to send the whole machine in to get them aligned? Just the block or assembly?
    I can get some pics up in a day when I get my camera mailed back from my grandmas house...I left it there for Christmas...
    You definitely have wear. You might try running a reel of 1/2" paper leader in play mode a time or 2 as a quick 'n dirty/temporary fix. It's been known to work. Before doing anything, make certain that it is a head issue and not wear and tear on the edges of the tape(s) being used. Checking the current head alignment is also a good idea.
    Rick Ruskin
    Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
    http://liondogmusic.com

Thanks
    Yes, put up some pics, and yes you only have to send in the block with heads and guides attached, not the whole deck.

Thanks

Diy ?

Let me know if you want to relay those heads yourself. You would also need to align them as well. If you need to save a few $$ you might want to try that.

Get the photos up - use a white sheet of paper to control the reflections

Regards, Ethan
    In Sunny Vancouver ..... (Washington)

Thanks
    I guess I'd honestly rather pony up the money and have it done right by someplace that knows what they are doing. Besides I could screw it up even with the best instructions.
    I do have a couple more basic questions tho. What all are they doing when they relapp the heads? Is relapping just basically adding more clear or acrylic onto whatever is wore off? If thats what it is then how can relapping help if Im getting drop outs on channels 1 and 8? Is there another procedure that actually repairs the bands underneath if they are damaged? Im 99% sure I dont have any damage underneath in the bands but I could be wrong...
    Tascam M-1600 mixer

Thanks
    poopchute,

If you've never taken a peek at analogrules.com, go here to look at a page they have on bad heads; what's happening when they wear, what to look for and all that.

When they relap its kind of like having your brake drums or brake rotors turned on a car if you know what that's all about. They actually grind away the metal until the original profile is restored and they polish them up nice. There is no clear or acrylic...your tape is ridin' metal (unless you have an Akai deck with the glass heads). So that's why heads that are too badly worn can't be relapped (if individual tracks are gapping or there is just not enough material left to allow recreating the profile).

Hope that helps.

evm1024 ain't messin' around...

I'll be trying it someday I'm sure, but I've got a spare head or two to screw up if it comes to that...Actually, I'm pretty sure that if the first one doesn't come out right, I'm done with that.

Thanks
    Hey,
    Finally got my camera back. Here are a couple of shots of the heads. Do you think I could benefit from a relapping from JRF magnetics?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p1040871-jpg   p1040872-jpg   p1040853-jpg  
    Tascam M-1600 mixer

Thread Information