have broken mt1x, would a 424mkII play its tapes?

Mr. Antrobus

Thornton Wilder character
I'm basically looking for a way to transfer some old 4-tracks that were made back in the day. I recorded them with a Yamaha MT1x that had dbx type I nr, I see that the tascam 424mkII has dbx type II nr.

Would a tascam play back tapes made on the yamaha or should I be looking for a yamaha deck on ebay? (Or trying to get the Yamaha repaired?)

Basically I'm not getting any signal when I play a tape on the yamaha. Transport works. But the meters don't light up, etc...

Fwiw, here's an excerpt on the difference between dbxI and dbx II

"On a good day, with everything set up perfectly, the Type I system was capable of providing as much as 30dB of noise reduction — far more than Dolby A — although it was prone to audible side effects. The difference between the Type I and Type II formats comes down to the details of the level sensing circuits used to control the compression and expansion processes. Type I was optimised for high-quality, wide-bandwidth open-reel recorders, whereas Type II was designed for the rather less reliable results obtained from cassette recorders. Consequently, Type II noise reduction was not as powerful, and more prone to mistracking side-effects."

Link to the full article (scroll down to the tan box):

All About Dbx Noise Reduction

I'm basically looking for a way to transfer some old 4-tracks that were made back in the day. I recorded them with a Yamaha MT1x that had dbx type I...

The MT1x uses dbx Type II just like the Tascam. dbx type I isn't rated for and not generally used for cassette. You should be able to use any cassette 4-track w/dbx II.

The problem with your Yamaha could be something as simple as a broken control belt that's not bringing the heads in full contect with the tape... or any nimber of issues if it's been sitting a while.

Hope that helps.

:)

Hmmm.

I had seen this post

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=175346

which indicated that the Yamaha used dbx I nr, but your explanation makes sense.

I think there's something wrong that goes beyond the belts. The power led lights and the transport spins and engages, but none of the lights seem to work--like the sync led or the rec led--or if I plug a mic into an input...nothing.

Back