Has anyone read . . .

Yes, I bought it when it first came out. There is some reference to it on

it first came out. There is some reference to it on this site somewhere. Overall, I think it is great. He does mention that you can use a 38 for stereo mastering, but some folks here say "not so". It has great interviews and comes with a CD. I say it's a great read for those sitting on the analog fence!

I suppose you could use a 38, which would be the same track width as a 1/4 track stereo deck.

It has great interviews and comes with a CD. I say it's a great read for those sitting on the analog fence!
I noticed it comes with a CD. What's on it. I was browsing and it looks like it might be things like "this is tape saturation" or whatever. Is that about right? I'm not on the fence, but I'm not very educated yet. So I wonder if it would be a good addition to my library. Thanks for the feedback.

Looks like you can get a new copy for less than 6 bucks shipped so hey, what have you got to lose? (other than six bucks I guess :D )

Analog Recording: Using Analog Gear in Today's Home Studios

Not a bad book overall. It has a few mistakes in it. The main one I remember is the author thinking two separate tracks together were equal to one track of the same width as far as being able to push levels. :spank:

Just ignore that part in the book and the rest isn't too bad. Very basic for many of us, but it's supposed to be. ;)

I suppose you could use a 38, which would be the same track width as a 1/4 track stereo deck.

This isn't right, is it?

A 1/4" stereo deck will give you 1/8" per track.

But the 38, which is a 1/2" 8-track deck, will only give you 1/16" per track.

Right?

Last edited:
This isn't right, is it?

A 1/4" stereo deck will give you 1/8" per track.

But the 38, which is a 1/2" 8-track deck, will only give you 1/16" per track.

Right?

That math seems right to me. Here's a dumb question though. Don't most heads have a slight gap between each track? If so wouldn't this diminish (if only slightly) the track width? But yes, 1/8 of 1/2 is 1/16.

That's quarter-track stereo, as in all commercial decks, as opposed to half-track stereo, which would be your standard mastering format.

the theory

is that if you record tracks 1-4 as a left channel and 5-8 as a right channel you would have a half inch stereo master. But as Beck states, this isn't really correct and that is because of the gaps between each head.

The CD has demos of the authors and some audio examples. I think it's a fun read.:)

I have my eye on this book also.

But....If you want an excellent book in my opinion,get this one.Even though the examples are geared towards cassette portastudios,it can be applied to other formats.Its helping me along with my 388 reel deck.Its a big book too with lots of cool techniques.I got mine brand new off Ebay for $9.

http://openlibrary.org/books/OL568791M/Using_your_portable_studio

I haven't read that one, but I have his earlier one (I think it's earlier) called "Musican's Guide to Home Recording," which I've used as a reference over the years.

Does this one come with a CD or anything demonstrating the concepts?

is that if you record tracks 1-4 as a left channel and 5-8 as a right channel you would have a half inch stereo master. But as Beck states, this isn't really correct and that is because of the gaps between each head.

The CD has demos of the authors and some audio examples. I think it's a fun read.:)

Ohhhhhhhh I get it.

Hmm ... yeah that doesn't seem the same to me, because you wouldn't have two tracks recorded on a 1/4" of tape each. You'd have one track recorded on four 1/16" sections of tape and another track recorded on four other 1/16" sections of tape. That's totally different.

I haven't read that one, but I have his earlier one (I think it's earlier) called "Musican's Guide to Home Recording," which I've used as a reference over the years.

Does this one come with a CD or anything demonstrating the concepts?

No CD with the book.Lots of cool techniques though,that are easy to follow.

>>>Ohhhhhhhh I get it.

Hmm ... yeah that doesn't seem the same to me, because you wouldn't have two tracks recorded on a 1/4" of tape each. You'd have one track recorded on four 1/16" sections of tape and another track recorded on four other 1/16" sections of tape. That's totally different.

yeah, it seems like you could end up with weird artifacts unless your machine was tip-top on spec... or, no? does anyone do this to improve quality, reduce tape hiss etc.? I'll have just to try it to find out i suppose, but could be interesting on a small width format to double track the most important (whatever's going to be mixed loudest) tracks. anyone tried that or the above mentioned simulated 1/2" master 'trick'?

Are there problems with this other than "it wouldn't really be the same width as a real 1/2" half track because of the gaps between"?

Back